Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Very worn rear brake.

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by aaace, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Of late I have been noticing a nice scratching noise from the rear brake caliper and today i finally got around to taking a look at it after about a week of riding.

As i was taking the caliper off i noticed one of the pistons was fully extended and had seized. Which i assume has been the scratching.

Here is the state of the pads when i got them out.

I thought this was a pretty bad case so I mentioned it when i went and got new pads from shop and he pulled out a disk which was knife thin, which i don't understand how the blokes bike was stopping with a disk like that.
  2. thats not just bad , thats bad to the bone.

its seized due to "cocking" in bore from insane extension.

post any questions if you have any, i can help if needed.
    p.s you did buy a new rotor ( go back if you didnt before you answer)
  3. your rotor needs to be replaced ,and new brake fluid as well , if it was me id flush out all the old fluid and repeat that a few times ,,,in saying that ,how can you let your bike get to that state?????have you checked the front brake pads yet?? some people have no idea how to take care of there bikes ,this is a good time to re grease your wheel bearings allso , and flush out and renew your fork oil while your at it,, are there any grease points on your bike ?/ if there is use them ,
  4. I have only had the bike 4 months and when i purchased the dealer advised me they had the brakes changes while it was in their workshop. Appears they only changed the front pads since they look nearly new.. well in comparison used pads would look new to them ones i pulled out.

I have flushed the fluids, front/rear brake & oil 3 times since i have owned the bike(every 3000km which seems to about each month.)

Front forks still feel pretty good but I might as well look into the process of doing this since I will need to eventually.
  5. and replace the chain and battery too. and sprockets, tyres and coolant. Might want to think about refreshing the brake hoses, wheels and petrol tank. o_O

If someone's not up on picking bad to the bone rear brake wear I think recommending they do all that other stuff is probably pointless.

that said, the rotor probably does need to be replaced and it can't hurt to replace the fluid from time to time anyway (in line with manufacturer's recommendations of course).

aaace I think you're probably over-doing the fluid replacement. Based on your avatar I'm gonna go ahead and assume you've got a GPX250. For the gippy the service manual recommends brake fluid change every 2 years or 24,000km. Replace the oil every 6 months or 6,000km and replace the filter every 12,000km.

I would assume many bikes (but not all) would have similar schedules.

while it's generally ok to over-do the maintenance you will end up spending more money than you need to and waste time doing unecessary maintenance. There's also the risk that you induce failures each time you do maintenance, whether that's over-torquing a bolt or not tightening something properly or not bleeding brake lines correctly etc.
  6. the things in the above post .......ARE THINGS THAT MUST BE DUN,,,,, when owning and rideing a motor bike ,,this is not ....POINTLESS,,,,,,this is trying to help out someone that does not know how to treat and respect his ride , i see this kind of thing all the time on this forum , there is more to owning and rideing a motor bike than just filling it with petrol and going ,,,
  7. Change "replace" with "inspect, and replace if necessary" and you're close to covering the bare minimum that people should look at when buying a used bike.
  8. you're right tiprat. but remember for some people the only things other than filling it with petrol and going is a check of the chain slack, tyre pressures and a chain lube from time to time.

For everything else it goes to a mechanic. Not everyone wants to or can do the maintenance themselves. So long as they know when to take it in for a service (every 6 months or 6,000km) and take it to a reputable workshop they will never have to worry about grease nipples or wheel bearings or fork oil... because the mechanic does all that stuff.

in that case all you do have to do is check the oil, tyre pressures and chain, fill it with fuel and ride away (providing it is registered and insured and you're wearing VICPOL-approved HiVis Leather everything and ride 5km/h below the posted speed limit, of course ;))

EDIT - apologies jd I was being sarcastic when I suggested repalcing all of those things. tiprat was recommending greasing the wheel bearings and flushing brake fluid and fork oil and I guess I got carried away
  9. i for one ,every time the wheels come of i regrease the bearings, when the front wheel is off i regrease the stearing head bearings ,why not its all apart anyway
  10. he prolly just had a bad start ,but.
    - 3 people( or was it 4) have now said replace the rotor -

julie i think is saying maybe a regular service from the local mech is the go.

please tell us you replace dthe rotor so we can all get some sleep, brakes are kinda
  11. Really? I've always considered replacing all the fluids and the brake lines to be a given with any used bike over 5 years. Start talking 10+ years and I'd certainly be adding wheel bearings and suspension to the list as well.
  12. Notes taken.

At this stage still has old rotor as they had none in stock also ordered new chain and sprockets as there is an almighty tight spot.

Gotta start the learning process somewhere.
  13. Hey useful tool sometimes is Utube
  14. If it is a GPX you've got then do a Google search for "Ninja 250 FAQ" - it has just about everything you could possibly need to know.
  15. I've seen something as bad as that!

A mate asked me to look at his rear brake because he thought it was making an unusual noise when he pressed hard on the lever. Right away, I could see from the surface of the disk that he was running metal-on-metal. Spent the next 15 minutes trying to wrestle the pads out - he'd worn about a third of the way through the backing plate of the stationary pad and the heat had warped it so badly that it was now stuck in the calliper. Should have taken a photo.

Lesson learned? Nope - a few months later he was down to metal on metal again. That guy goes through a disk every time he wears out his brake pads.
  16. front's the important one though ;)

lol @ Jack_1313!! Some people learn by reading. some learn by watching others. but a few have to pee on the electric fence for themselves a few times before they realise...
  17. Theres actually a specific ninja250 forum which deals mainly with the older GPX (pre 08) models.

As for vids, there is one gentleman (cant remember his name) that made a whole bunch of vids for post 09 model maintenance. He tends to drone on and on a bit but theyre worth skipping through bits of it.
  18. Lol @ the lol on jack
    Few beers think thats right
    Lol anyway on fence julie