Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Very Newb quest..

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by sjnn, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Hey guys, i know this is gonna sound stupid, but are you supposed to check the oil while the engine is running?

i have a zzr250 2001, i recently checked the oil and it seems that the oil fills the window completely when i check it when its not running, but when i check it while it is, it fills it half way, where its supposed to be.
    i do stand the bike upright to check it and all so i dont think thats the problem.

2. check it while its cold , make sure the bikes upright and level as you said .
    when the oil warms up a little it will circulate and it will give a false reading as oil is still being circulated around the motor .
    I allways do it while its cold myself.
  3. Yep what Glen said & welcome to the forum!
  4. I have always gone by the rule that the markers on the sight gauge are for when the engine is cold and the bike is upright. I don't tend to check the oil when the engine is warm because, as Groberts said, it is distributed throughout the engine and the sight gauge will read low.

Checking the reading while the engine is running will also give a false reading as the oil is actively circulating.

Never check the oil when the bike is moving :shock: :wink:
  5. shit you check yer oil do ya's i drink it no wonder i am squeaky clean. :roll: :wink:
  6. I think the oil should be just near the top of the window when the engine is cold, off, and upright.

you might want to get a copy of the GPX/ZZR250 service manual so you can be totally sure about these things though :)
  7. Borbon-Bob squeaky clean hhhmmmm I will have to think about that one :)