Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Very new

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by piglett, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Hi to all.
    Nice to be here with like minded people.

After many years on the dirt, my wife and I purchased a GS1200R last year.
    The first time I rode the beast, I must say I was a little tentitve, especially being used to 100 odd kilo's under me.

However, within the first 1 klm, I was screaming my head off with sheer delight. I could not believe the feeling of cornering what you think is hard and then you corner even harder and the thing still hangs on.
    To get the most out of the bike and me , I attended a Stay-upright course in Canberra.
    That was ifanstastic, I really learn't alot, and had absolutely no idea just how hard you can pull on the front brakes and not loop yourself.
    The two of us have had a ball, but recently had to sell her to help finance a home.
    Now we are planning to tour Europe on a bike.

So I have few questions and forgive me for not posting these in the right areas. I'm new to this.
    Anyway, surely purchasing a bike in UK and bringing it back would make sense, rather than sending one over and so on.
    Has anyone done this before and if so what are the pifalls, also what is it like touring Europe:
    Do you take a tent
    What the food
    Driving on the other side and so on.
    Anyway, hope someone has some advise, so I will wait and see.
    Bye for now.
  2. Cannot really answer any of your questions unfortunately, but welcome anyway, I'm sure someone around here can help you out though.

Have a good look through all the forums, you'll find what you need.
  3. Buying a bike and leaving it over there would make more sense. There's very strict regs on importing bikes, so it's not really worth bringing it back unless you have no intentions of getting it registered (ie track bike), or it's a pre-89 model.
    Sounds like a fun trip though so good luck with it.
  4. Reply

Thank you to Ekkfish and JD for your responses.

I will keep on questioning the viability of leaving the bike over there.

However talking to a mate the other day, he suggested hiring, so I will investigate that option and let you know how I went.

Cheers for now

5. You could always buy a fairly new second hand bike and sell it at the end of the trip. That's what backpackers do when they're going somewhere for an extended period of time. You don't say how long you're going to be there so it might not be an option but depending on rental costs may be worth it.
  6. Welcome to Netrider; you can become our official European Correspondents, (unpaid, of course :LOL:)
  7. Thank you Mr Bign and Hornet600 for your comments.

A cuople of years ago selling the bike over there would be an option.
    I guess as I am getting older, I am becoming less adventurous and therefore the idea of hanging around waiting for a buyer in a foreign country is not that appealing.
    It would be a satisfactory solution however,if I had family or friends in Europe, so it looks like a rental.

I have not come across BMWs for rent as yet.

I will keep you posted as to the my progress on this subject

8. as your not going to be living there, it's alot easier to get the bike over there, your not importing it as such, more of a holiday it sounds to me, there are plenty of people that have shipped bikes over to do just what you are planning, so i would suggest posting the question in general as you will get a larger audience reply and hopefully someone will be able to answer your question that has actually done it

anyway welcome to nr
  9. Thank you qbnspeedfreak.

Your suggestion of shipping a bike over to europe is of interest.
    Any body out there who has done this?

10. I have sent you a PM on how to best contact Glitch
    who not too long ago did the Alps ride

Jealous as all hell, would love to do a ride over there