Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Very new and hello....

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Spocky, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Hi there,

I am joining as I have been looking at getting into motorcycling for a while and now have made the positive step to getting my L's and learning a new skill. This at the ripe old age of 41!

I realise that you need to ride a lot to get the skills up so intend to do as much riding both commuting and social rides as possible in all conditions (you get dry eventually!).

Intend to ride Sports style bikes so I am going to start with them and my first LAMS bike will be a Kawasaki Ninja 650L to learn the style and way these bikes handle.

I'll also be looking at doing some riding courses as you can always learn more and there is never a thing of too much knowledge.

So that's it in a nut shell and I'll ask a lot of questions so please be patient with me until the adrenaline levels get a bit lower and I get a bit more experience under my belt.

Cheers Spocky
  2. If your in NSW, and have got your Black Driving license, you can be on Unrestricted Bikes in 15 months...

I'll leave it to others with more knowledge to explain the advantages of starting off on a 250 (not to mention staying away from any "Restricted" LAMS Bike), but there are many articles and threads around the interweb that will explain far better then I.

Good luck and enjoy the riding!
  3. Hi Choofalong,

Yes I have a Gold licence and expect to miss the P2 phase so that is a good thing. I am in NSW. I am a bit big for a 250cc bike (188cm and 130 odd kilos) and the 650 is a reasonable size for me (sat on the 2011 model) so don't have an issue with it. Size and power can come with time and my car gives me enough performance to be silly until I get a lot more time and skill on the bike.

Looking forward to it!

Cheers Spocky
  4. Welcome to NR and to the world of riding! (y)

Nothing is better than this & remember: The more you ride, the younger you get. :D
  5. #5 jag131990, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Don't listen to those people. You will be fine on the ninja.. there's no reason to stick to 250's anymore. They changed the ruling to 150kw/tonne because the government acknowledges there is a great plethora of bigger bikes out there that are still incredibly noob friendly and suit a bigger bloke like yourself. Good choice.

PS. I started on a gs500f and never looked back