Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Very nearly dropped my bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by blaringmike, Apr 2, 2008.

1. As a new rider I regularly read this section and in particular like reading treads about crashes and dropped bike. Not because I like hearing about riders and bikes going down but because I want to learn off others mistakes and hopefully not repeat someone else's mistake.

I consider myself a fairly competent low speed rider and after reading numerous threads about people dropping their bikes in slow turns, car parks etc I thought that this would never happen to me as I was always very balanced and comfortable at low speeds. Last night I very nearly dropped my bike turning into a car park.

Did all the stereotypical noob mistakes. Not concentrating, front brake, wrong gear (2nd or 3rd) going way to slow to be turning at full lock due to my lack on concentration and the bike started to go down to the right.

I actually thought to myself in the split second that I felt her overbalancing, sh!t she's gonna go down, and I had a image flash through my head of a smashed indicator and fairings. I have no idea why this happened. But I guess I had resigned to the fact that she was going to hit the deck.

So with the bike at a massive lean angle which would have been awesome at speed around a corner I started getting ready to put her down as gently as possible. By now most of the bikes weight was on my right leg and I was trying as hard as possible to think of a way to get my leg out before it fell. Then...

All of a sudden I had this massive rush of strength and with a big heave upwards with my leg and right arm I managed to get her back upright. I seriously don’t know how I did this. The half second previously I was trying to put her down gently the next I was sitting back upright on her.

I got away with this one lightly. Only damage was to my ego and fingers that were jammed against the tank and handle bars with the bike falling. So another important lesson learnt. ALWAYS CONCENTRATE WHEN YOU’RE ON YOUR BIKE. So simple but this brief lack of concentration could of cost me injury and $$$’s.

Hope this never happens again but it was definately a good wake up call.
  2. Glad you saved it mate, i had one last week as a matter of fact, front wheel dropped out on a left hand bend at 40km so i threw my left leg out to stop the bike falling, almost a karate kick to the pavement, ankle is sort as shit as i only had the work shoes on, but hey a save is a save.I'd rather that than dropping the bike.

I realised after that when you ride through light dirt and mud on the road the tyres don't work as good.

Your right it is a wake a call and reminds you of how things can go wrong very quickly on bike.
  3. massive rush of strength, to lift a 250RR ???

unless your like 50kg, you shouldnt have any issues :)
  4. I had a similar experience while attending the newcastle toy run. I was a tad hung over and not paying attention while swinging a u-turn. Saved my bike the same way you did.

Funny how much strength you get it your legs when you imagine the damage it's gonna cause - particularly on a fully faired bike in front of about 4000 other riders.
  5. When I nearly dropped my 250 doing a uturn it started to fall but I muscled the f@#$ker up superhumanquickly saying to myself whilst doing it 'NO WAY am I paying for new fairings, that $hits expensive!' :grin:

I lowsided it later though :wink:
  6. Heeeey I'm 59 kilos and I sometimes struggle to save Peaches when she's leaning at a sharp angle :( and I know of other girls, especially Asians who struggle with pushing/ saving CBR 250s!
  7. Nice save! I've done a similar party trick, kicking the ground so hard that the planet Earth itself was pushed away from me to save a skidding-at-40kph practice emergency stop. (My shinbone didn't appreciate it. Preeeeeetty sure I caused a minor fracture)

I hope you don't take offense, but I think it may have been saveable if you'd (carefully) accelerated out of it, if it were safe to do so. Being in 2nd/3rd gear may have prevented that escape-route, though.

I also respect that you were in a panic situation and the body often goes against training and knowledge (For example, my left foot deciding of its own accord that it'll "save" the bike in the emergency stop while the rest of the body correctly released the brakes, etc.)

But, yeah - for full-lock, slow-speed, bike-leaned-on-its-side-and-rider-upright maneuvers, carefully adding just a bit more speed will stand the bike up, almost always.
  8. Good save !!
    Well done on avoiding a little damage and possibly a lot of $$$
  9. oggys could save the day!
    dropped my er6 in similar circumstances and the oggy's saved me.
    not a scratch, apart from the oggys.
  10. I agree they aren't that heavy however when you have the full weight of the bike on one leg and your hand jammed between the tank and bars it does feel very heavy.

No offense taken. But I was almost completely stationary with the bike leaned right over before I realized I was in trouble. It all happened so quickly all I could do was what ever my instincts told me.
  11. Well you are not alone with an incident like this and I am sure you will experience it again. I have seen riders with years experience drop them like that. But you did hit the nail on the head.....We all need to concentrate.
  12. Go out to a carpark one quiet morning, and practrice figure 8's. Start with really large figure 8's, and slowly tighten them/slow them down as you build in experience.
    Drag some rear brake and use it to a degree to control your speed, and practice leaning orr the bike to teh OUTSIDE of teh turn, and pushing teh bike down into the turn a little to tighten your turns.
    On your bike, you will find the clutch is very on/off, so this will be a good practice session for you. Just practicing riding slowly in a straight line is a great thing to do as well.
    Practice stopping from low speeds using rear brake only, you'll find it quite effective enough for slow sped work, and you'll gain confidence in using it.

Regards, Andrew.
  13. Cheers typhoon for the advice. I definately need some more practice. However this incident was more due to poor concentration as I really needed to p!ss.