Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Very low idle..then dies..

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by jc212, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Since I had a small drop on my xv250 (virago) I've noticed that when I idle, my revs tend to drop gradually and the rhythm of the idle is distorted and it eventually dies. My mate says my idle screw(?) might need a bit of tightening.

Also, sometimes when i'm launching off when i've just started the bike (i warmed it prior) i get this mini 'bang' sound where my exhaust ends. What could be the problem?

A bit more information... it's been quite a while since i've done any minor services (3000ks/2 months).. Could it be something related to oil, spark plugs, filters, unclean carburetor etc?

So, what's your diagnosis and supposed treatment :?:

Thanks in advance :wink:
  2. Could be the idle screw. See how that goes.
    Maybe ur carbs are unbalanced, or a blocked air filter.
    Much worse it could be the timing on ur bike is out
  3. I'd guess that the problems from drop is a coincidence and its just in need of a little TLC in the form of a service and tune.

Might pay to have a look see at the air filter though, a dirty filter can easily cause the symptoms you have.