Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Very good news if you work for the Defence Dept

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by TonyE, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just received...

It's not often you get a Government Minister with some good motorcycling news...
    :LOL:
    http://www.minister.defence.gov.au/NelsonMintpl.cfm?CurrentId=5891

DEFENCE MOTORCYCLE AWARENESS CAMPAIGN

Today, I was very proud to launch the Defence Motorcycle Awareness Campaign, which will maintain and enhance the skills of motorcyclists and scooter riders in the Australian Defence Force and the Department of Defence.

Defence has approximately 5,000 riders across Australia.

As part of this $1.9 million campaign, licensed motorcycle riders – both ADF members and Defence civilians – can access fully refundable advanced rider skills courses once every three years.

These courses will be run by professional accredited training providers around Australia, and will help Defence people become safer and better riders.

The Defence Motorcycle Awareness Campaign aims to reduce the number of accidents involving Defence personnel who ride motorcycles or scooters.

It will also raise awareness among other road users – particularly those around military bases – of motorcycles and scooters on our roads.

By heightening safety awareness and improving the skills of its riders, Defence is investing in protecting its most important asset – its people.

I would like to thank the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, the motorcycling industry and media, motorcycle training providers across Australia, and the ACT Emergency Services for their support for this campaign.

TonyE

2. Good isn't it. Good on you Brendan. Now if they will just stop sending everyone, everywhere, all of the time, then someone may have some time to actually attend one. (Oops did I just say we were overcommitted in a public forum - very naughty boy).

3. Why just limit it to the Defence Force? Why not finally get something worth while for you ~$50 and rising safety levee? Whilst i'm glad the Defence Force has stepped up to the plate, i can't help but think that the only reason they did this is after all those statistics came floating out of the US about the post-war-adrenaline-junkies.

4. It does help that the Minister is a rider himself :LOL: :LOL:

5. Defence has had a long running driver safety campaign aimed at reducing road deaths over holiday periods. Because many people in defence end up working in other than their home state, when it comes XMAS, lots of people pack the family into the car and do a lot of driving. We were having way too many accidents during this period so it spawned a defence specific driver safety campaign. I'm guessing this is an extension of that. Although I'm sure that when Brendan Nelson took over there might have been a few defence riders who thought it would be a good time to ask for funding.

6. I read somewhere the US was losing more military personel to motorcycle crashes than in Iraq!!!

7. Australia Post apparently has been doing this for years, particularly with its Postie bike riders. I understand that AP saw significant reductions in accidents and injuries since it introduced the program. It'd be interesting to source the stats for this, though.

8. The above was posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:09 pm

This thread started Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:47 pm

What's your point :p

9. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

umm that he is a nub :LOL: :p :wink:

Cheers :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.