Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Very (for me) important question

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Can anyone tell me definitely if any other rear shock/spring unit in the extensive Honda catalogue is the same as the '98 Hornet 600 unit?

I had arranged to get mine rebuilt, but had a problem with that, someone else has quoted me up to $310 (if the shaft needs re-chroming) to rebuild the existing one, but honestly, if a second-hand CBR-600 or the like shock fitted, I'd just as soon do that......

2. Not sure, but if it is, there is an Ohlins on eBay at the moment for an early CBR600 going cheap. Worth a look in an Ohlins catalogue to see if it fits?

3. Ah, Netrider, what can you say??

I rang Chickbabe; she works in a wreckers in St Marys in Sydney.

They have a Hornet in there, 32,000kms!!! I get the shock and spring tomorrow morning, for $150!!!

One happy Hornet :).

4. Two happy Hornets? You and they bike that is ;)

I was going to suggest search the inny web to see if the CBR one fitted too.

5. I was going to do that, but was also hoping that someone might know for sure, and tell me. Never mind, a shock with only 32,000 kms on it should be better than one with 123,000 kms anyway.

6. Yup, but still cactus in comparison to a 0km one ;)

7. I don't have the budget to buy a brand new one for nearly $500, or an adjustable Hagon for $695. And it's probably not worth spending that sort of money on a ten year old bike. And I don't ride fast enough for it to matter :LOL:.

8. It's ok Paul. I have met chickibabe. She is a quality person, who will see you right.

9. Didn't you know Paul? for every dollar you spend on your suspension you'll get 1kmh faster corner speed? :p Yes, this is regardless of rider ability :roll: lol[/b]

10. Well my cornering speed problems are over: I just spent $150 on a rear shock, woo-hoo, Macquarie Pass here I come :rofl:.

11. lol... Next step.... R1 :p

12. Hornet, good to hear you got sorted. :)

I reckon some time trawling hornet forums would have got you an answer. I know the SV forums have an endless list of what bits from other bikes will bolt straight on... that either means the SV is invariably versatile... or no one likes it in stock trim! lol

13. Yeah, well $150 for low mileage second-hand shock means I can save up my pennies and buy a brand-new one down the track.

So I'm off for a road test; Macquarie Pass, I think :LOL:.

14. Have a blast. Stay safe. :)

15. I did both. The shock is a huge improvement, both in terms of comfort and handling, and for the first time in a long time I have presently 205 kms on the odometer, and I haven't had to turn over to reserve yet; all good :).