Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Very faint spark, what could be the problem??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by bubbleboy, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Hi all...I got my Son a little Thumbstar Chinese import. I know, everyone cringes at the thought. Well it has been running well for about a fortnight. Suddenly no go. It is a 48cc four stroke engine with electric start.
    I have a little engine experience but electrics were never my best subject. It had a multitude of spark at one stage now all that is there is a very faint intermittent spark which is getting weaker. Battery is charged. I dont know if its the coil or some other part. Have tried a new spark plug and checked the kill switch. Can any one give me some pointers on checking the items or is it a case of having to replace and see what happens?
    kind regards Scotty

2. coils.
    or, plugleads!

....or maybe the charging system :?
  3. Would the charging system cause this? I would not have thought so? Can I check the coil any way?...Scotty :cry:
  4. Yep, the best bet is to source a service guide for your bike - it will outline how to test all these sort of things.
  5. Best bet will be to take it back. If you are lucky enough to find someone who knows which particular factory that particular bike came from, they probably won't have parts for that particular bike.
    Wonder if it's an old style CDI setup, pickup coils can move away from the rotor/flywheel, or fail.
    Wait, you DID get a warranty right?

Regards, Andrew.
  6. Being the cheap kinda crap they are, perhaps it still runs ponts ignition, if so check the gap/dwell

otherwise CDI..