Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Vermeulen switches

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by hornet, Oct 30, 2005.

1. ..........but not as expected.
    The worst-kept secret for 2006 was the switch of Chris Vermeulen to MotoGP, but when it was announced this morning, it was not to Honda as expected, but to a two-year deal to partner Kenny Roberts Jnr at Suzuki.

2. Paul, that was announced yesterday, he advised Honda that he wanted to move to MotoGP and the fools said we don't have a spot for you, so the big winner is Suzuki with a 2 year deal. They are getting a young guy who has apparently done heaps of testing/development on the CBR1000RR and knows what is good and what is not.
  3. :oops: OK, sorry if this already out of the bag ! :oops:
  4. No need to say sorry :eek: It most likely only hit the papers today :D
  5. Actually its not KR junior he will be partnering. KR has been dumped so my guess is John Hopkins will be his team mate.
  6. Honda, again, stuffed up. The guy just misses hitting the top ten in his first race on the bike with no real testing or experience, and the best Honda can come up with is a satelite team offer? Suzuki are on to a good thing here! I hope Suzuki get their act together and build a decent bike for the guy, he's a great talent that shouldn't be wasted.

Edited crappy spelling
  7. Now there's a hope that's gone unanswered for the past twenty years...
  8. I just hope he doesn't spend a couple of years doing what Hopkins has done - ride his ring off for only middling results because the bike isn't worthy of his skills.
  9. ... or even longer, IK. In the 70's Barry Sheene used to ride R&D in the races all year and get the bike 'just right' late in the season, only to find that at the start of the next season he was confronted with a brand new machine incorporating NONE of what he had learned. "Our engineers know best, Sheene-san" was the standard pathetic disclaimer......
  10. Too true. However, back then, the Suzuki could still reliably challenge for the championship, as all the other manufacturers were making similar mistakes. The 20 year figure loosely covers the time when the other manufacturers pulled ahead in terms of development and left them relying completely on the talent of the riders they've been able to attract, talent which has consistently exceeded the quality of bike they've had to race.

Since about the late 80's, Suzuki have been a career graveyard for racers. They've all tried till they were blue in the arse (fitting, given Suzuki's house colours) and got disappointingly little out of it.
  11. I heard about this the weekend if Istanbul :)

Go Chrissy ya liddle bewdy! :p
  12. But good riders have made crap bikes win them titles :shock: IMHO. Gardener and Schwantz (speeling) come to mind.

Cheers 8)
  13. Gardner won in 1987 because Honda fluked and made the NSR500 something other than a vindictive scheisseheap.

Schwantz won in 1993 because Rainey took too many points off the other contenders before his crash at Misano.

History can be ignored to an extent, though, because the GeePees are going more and more in the direction of F1; the bikes account for a much greater proportion of the overall package now than they did ten years ago, and it's now much harder for a good rider to bridge a machine performance gap.

Rossi's good, but he's not 1.5 seconds a lap better than someone like Nakano or Hopkins. About 1.25 seconds of that comes from the factory M1 Rossi's on.
  14. And here's me thinking this thread was going to be about some sort of obscure electrical component found on old bikes.
  15. I reckon he's crazy for leaving Honda. :eek:
    He sure aint going to win any races
    on a Suzuki. :(
    Should have stayed in superbikes
    for another year. :D

Hakin :wink: