Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ventura Luggage Rack and Suzuki GS500

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by noworries, May 11, 2011.

1. On the Wanted Forum there has been a recent query re fitting of Ventura Luggage Racks originally intended for other bikes to the GS500. Just to report that I recently picked up from e-bay a really cheap Ventura rack and set of l-bars intended for a Suzuki GSX-R 1000 and successfully fitted them to a GS500 with a minimum of pain.
    Gary at Menai Mufflers was kind enough to pop the l-bars onto his mandrel bender and give each of the bars a slight 20mm tweak inwards and for free, tx mate! Fabricated two brackets (ex-Bunnings 3mm plate) to pick up on the forward mudguard securing bolts (used new bolts with a a few extra mm) up under the rear sub-frame. A couple of small u-bolts around the passenger grab rails (together with a bit of rubber buffer to pick up the slack) secured the l-bars via their original tubed holes. Also added a stainless hose clip there as a bit of a belt and baces. L-bars then sat up solid and just right to pick up the rack where you would want it on the GS500.
    All ended up pretty secure with a bit of an advantage that the installation took place without having to remove the rear plastic fairings on the bike. Being a bit of a cheap skate, the rack is now sporting a moddified Coles Spmkt freezer bag as luggage.
    Hope this might be useful to other bodgers!

2. Cheers mate, i have been looking for a way of getting myself a set. they seem as rare as hens teeth to get!

3. Why would you need measurements? You have the bike to use as a jig!