Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ventura bags - how waterproof/resistant

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by ashes, May 26, 2005.

1. What have been peoples experiences with the water resistance of Ventura bags (I have the Aero and Delta bags)? I haven't had them out in a sustained downpour yet but they seem reasonable in the light rain/showers. Has anyone purchased the storm covers or knows of an alternative (read cheaper) cover?

2. Had them for the last 12 years.
    Good stuff and really only leaked a bit after prolonged downpours (hours).
    Since we're mainly touring though, decided to get into panniers/ topboxes now, and stuff stays totally dry and dust-free...but the penalty are the ugly racks (quite acceptable for the topboxes but the pannier-racks are just fugly, prevent damage in case of a drop, though).
  3. You can get 'storm cover' for your Ventura bag (basically a waterproof over-coat) that will make it waterproof for about $20-$30.
  4. I got a storm cover for mine. So for it's only been rained on once though. So I can't really say.
  5. Buy a can of silicon spray and give them a good coating. Bought mine about 2-3 years ago and they were barley water resistent then. I gave mine a good spray and haven't had a problem since regardless of how heavy the rain.
  6. With Deyago on this, though I have to admit, my Gearsak has been through some very heavy rain for hours at a time and it has not leaked in the main compartment at all. The silicon spray is a good idea.
  7. Thanks for this info.
    I've had these bags for at least 7 years.
    Been through some torrentials, but kept things dry.
    Bagster didn't however. But does come with its own cover, which I fail to use once.
    However, never knew about the raincovers or silicone sprays. They sound like a good idea for a bit more insurance.