Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Helmets' started by gongrider, Mar 10, 2011.

1. I went helmet shopping last week, as my HJC had taken a hit when I crashed and I left it in Vietnam after my trip!

I tried on various helmets including RJays, Shark, AGV, HJC. I'd have loved to be shopping for an Arai or Shoei but don't quite have the budget.

I usually wear around a small helmet depending on brand. I found the medium AGV too loose for a new helmet and the small AGV very tight on my forehead. I do have a fairly round head though.

After trying all these helmets on and shopping around I came to a shop selling the Vemar. I hadn't really seen a lot of them before but the salesman was adamant they were great helmets so I tried one on. Pretty much a perfect fit straight away, nice and firm.

Got a great price and a tinted visor so headed home (in the car).

First thing I noticed was that there was no quick release for the visor. These helmets are apparently made for racing so no quick visor swap :(

To ride with the helmet I noticed a few things compared to other helmets I've used:

- The ventilation is excellent. There are big vents on the front and exhausts on the sides and top. The air comes through very well!

- A little noisy. Not as bad as my HJC was, but there is definitely a bit of wind noise from around the neck.

- Other noises are very muffled. I can barely hear my bike (although it isn't at all loud) and other traffic is audible but muffled.

- Vision is excellent. There is no blind spot that I found with my HJC, headchecks are much easier.

- It's light! The sticker says 1390g +/- 50g. It is a "tricomposite" which means it's made from carbon, aramid (kevlar) and fibreglass.

Aerodynamically it seems quite good too, the air doesn't push on the helmet or cause any unwanted force when doing a headcheck.

The material inside is nice, almost like suede. Looks like it would last a long time.

Overall, the drawbacks are a slow visor change and a bit of wind noise, but a good helmet if you can get it at a good price.
  2. Does it say what country it's made in?
  3. The tag in the helmet says Italy. If I pull back the liner the polystyrene foam has a "made in China" sticker on it.

So I gather the foam is made in China, with the shell, liner and the rest made in Italy.
  4. Either that or just the tag is made in Italy :LOL:.
  5. Under Australian Standards law it has to say "made in xyz"

does the tag say "made in italy " or just "italy" ?
  6. The tag says "Made in Italy"
  7. then most likely assembled in Italy with components made elswhere