Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Vemar Jiano Flip-front

Discussion in 'Helmets' started by hornet, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Just a mini-review, as I only bought this helmet two days ago, but I DID do a couple of hundred kms wearing it yesterday.

I was looking for a flip-front (the curse of wearing glasses) to replace my Nitro F317V which broke its flip mechanism, (again), a couple of weeks ago. It seems the brand is now not available in Australia, and anyway, after having the mechanism break twice in around 18 months, I wouldn't buy another one.

I had pretty-much settled on the RJays Tour-Tech, without the flip-down dark visor inside, (most testers say that it doesn't come down far enough, and besides I wear Polaroid prescription glasses anyway), for around $249.00. (The dark visor bumps the price up to $299.00).

Soooo... before going to Sydney, I called in at Norm Frasers in Wollongong and was delighted to get a Vemar Jiano, WITH a flip-down dark visor, for just $195.00.

Yesterday I joined stokedpaz and toadcat on the Old Pac for a ride to the slab and back to Road Warrior's (plus the not inconsiderable trip there and back :LOL:) so I was able to get some first impressions.

Size and weight
    It's not the lightest of helmets despite being (I think) plastic construction, tipping my highly accurate kitchen cooking scales at 2.2kg. (My flip-front Nitro was the same weight, and my old original N510V full-face Nitro was a little lighter at 1.9kg). Thus I didn't (don't) notice much difference between it and what I've been wearing. I once did over 800kms with the Nitro Flip on, and my neck wasn't sore, so I have no reason to expect any difficulties with this one.

Fit and Finish
    The helmet is quite complex in build but all the joints, stitching, rivets, etc, etc are very well done, no loose ends.
    The locking mechanism for the chin-piece, despite being sturdy plastic clips attaching to metal pins, seems to be very robust; I couldn't pull it open with a reasonable amount of force.
    The flip mechanism does mean that there is a gap where the two pieces join, but the locking mechanism closes it very tightly, and the helmet feels very rigid.
    The helmet has two vent mechanisms, one for the rider's head, and one for the visor. The controls for both are very small and, in my opinion, impossible to actuate with gloved hands. The visor vent is particularly clever, in that when flipped up, it is supposed to direct fresh air up the inside of the visor, but not onto the rider's face. Cold weather riding will tell how efficient it is, but from a design point of view, it looks 'right'.
    The visor closes very tightly, and I could not discern any wind noise being contributed around its edges.
    The visor removal mechanism is a bit fiddly, requiring a firm (and definitely not cold and stiff) pair of fingers to unlock, and an equal amount of dexterity and force to replace. When locked in place, to be fair, there is a discernable click to let you know you've succeeded.
    Unlike most helmets, which use the traditional double-D-Ring closure on the chin-strap, the Vemar uses as ratcheted tongue which slides into a seat-belt-type buckle. This is very easy to use in practice, once adjusted properly for the shape and size of your melon (there's plenty of adjustment) and my only disclaimer would be that in colder weather the necessity to grasp a relatively small fabric tab and pull it downwards to release the buckle might provide some frustration. Again, as with the visor-vent, time will tell.
    There IS a fully-kitted Bluetooth version of this helmet available, but the non-equipped version still has the 'pods' in the internal padding where the hardware can be fitted.
    Some of the internal padding is removable for washing; after only a couple of wears I haven't had the need to test this yet :LOL:.
    The padding on the lower rim fits very tightly on the neck; any wind noise from this helmet is going to (DOES) come from wind whistling round the cracks of the flip mechanism (more later).
    The helmet is supplied with a snap-in gusset which fits under the chin for cold weather riding; once again, I haven't tested it yet.
    On thing that will concern riders moving to this helmet from others is that the vision-aperture is a little shallower (top to bottom) than in other helmets. Side to side vision is still OK, and you get used to it very quickly, but trying it on in a shop might provoke a bit of a claustrophobic reponse to begin with.

On the road.
    Vision forward, and sideways for head-checks, is as normal (at least as I compare it to my other helmets).
    The joins for the flip mechanism DO provide a bit of wind whistle, which starts almost immediately, but, thankfully, doesn't get exponentially worse as speed rises. If you place your gloved hand over the join, you can notice an appreciable decrease in noise, but, short of duct-taping the mechanism closed when you set off (which surely defeats the purpose of a flip helmet anyway) this sort of behaviour is what you live with with a flip-front helmet.
    I thought the internal dark visor would be a bit of a wheeze, but two things struck me about it immediately, and re-inforced themselves as the ride continued.
    One is the there is only a small gap between the bottom of the dark visor and the top edge of the chin-piece (unlike, I believe, the TourTech). This makes it very effective, even if you don't wear sunnies.
    The second was that it seems (if this is possible) to improve on the already dramatic effect of Polaroid sunglasses! I was fully prepared to flip it up (the simple toggle on the left side of the helmet is easy to find with gloved hands and very 'light' in its operation), since I was wearing the Polaroids, but ended up leaving it down for the whole ride. (One little down side is that if you need to scratch you nose you have to lift TWO visors to do it).
    I haven't found out how (or even IF) you can remove the dark visor, but I guess the main visor would be down most of the time, so only light cleaning with a soft cloth sould be necessary.
    So, not such a mini-review, but overall my first impressions are very positive; I didn't find anything I didn't like, so the lottery of finding a helmet you like in the shop, only to find that it's horrid when you ride, turned out in my favour.
    I'd recommend you try, at least, the Vemar Jiano; the price can't be beaten, and the quality seems very good.
  2. Thanks mate. Helmet reviews are always good, as it is a bit of a lottery.

I had a Vemar a few years ago and I was impressed with it, but unfortunately had to toss it after an accident. The Vemars I looked at subsequently didn't seem to be of the same standard.

You review suggests they may have their act together again.
  3. I rate Vemar
  4. I'd like to have one of yours, but riding on a budget.....

Talking through a tap on my Galaxy S!
  5. update after a couple of months

I was wondering how the helmet would take to having me wear a Netrider neck warmer underneath, but unlike some other helmets, it allows it to stay in place and doesn't make the helmet feel appreciably tighter.

On my observation the vent which is supposed to clear the inside of the visor works well, but short of looking in a mirror there's no way of telling whether it's up or down while wearing gloves.

Interestingly with the inner tinted visor, I actually haven't worn sunglasses with the helmet since the first ride. This may not be any more than the gentler sunshine of autumn/winter, but we'll find out in summer. Being able to wear just my normal glasses and flip the inner visor up or down according to conditions is a real bunus for the moment. (On the downside, leaving it down and the main visor UP in summer could be a problem because if it gets scratched with bugs and road debris, there appears to be no way to remove it to clean it fully, or replace it. The accompanying user manual covers about 5 model Vemar helmets, is presented in 6 languages, is printed in a tiny font, and is to all intents and purposes, useless :LOL:).
  6. Another update

Sunday was the first day I have ridden in very heavy rain with this helmet, and I found, as with the case of other flip-front helmets I've had, that the top edge of the visor does not seal to the helmet body, and water gets down the inside of the visor. Not stupidly, but enough to annoy you, and, of course, once it's there you can't get rid of it :LOL:
  7. can you modify it by added another rubber strip to the existing one to help it seal better ?
  8. #8 hornet, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    That's exactly what I'm planning to do, I just didn't know I needed to till the other day :)
  9. Well, for every ointment there's always a fly.....

While the Vemar has been fantastic on the Hornet, to my great surprise, (and disappointment) on the VFR it is insufferably noisy, and at speed, actually uncomfortable.

Flip-front helmets always come at the cost of wind-noise, but the combination of the conformation of the VFR's fairing and windscreen makes it hugely noisier than it was when riding the Hornet.

Likewise with comfort; at anything over 100kph it starts to move backwards on my head, and the chin part presses strongly against my chin. This despite it feeling very snug when at rest, and staying where it should on the Hornet when at the same speeds.

Ah well, back to the old faithful Nitro full-face for the time being, but I'm drawn to Shark helmets as being reported as being very quiet......