Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Velcro a part of a rider's life

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by bonjoji, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Hasn't is come to any of you how much "velcro" you use when you put on your riding gear? :roll: ....... They're everywhere, on your gloves, jackets, boots, draggin' . :shock:
    Gee, I never have these much "velcro" on myself.

2. very true mate.
    its the simple things that are the best.
  3. velcro just made my do-not-fit-me-gloves fit :)
  4. velcro rocks lol
    :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
    sounds cool when u take apart the velcro
  5. zips also sound cool :)
  6. But which would win in a fight... velcro or chuck norris...?

Sorry had to bring the chuck man back into action... some of those e-mails going around about 1-2 months ago were as funny as they were stupid...
  7. velcro is a great invention!
    I almost lost my keys today, but the fabric thingy they are attached to thankfully caught onto some velcro on my jacket :grin:
    Have you seen those great velcro suits - or is it the walls are velcro?
  8. hmmmmmm
    i remember those.
    the walls were the hard bit of the velcro and the suit was the soft stuff that attached to the hard stuff. (worst description ever!)
  9. But leather straps with buckles are more fun :LOL: :LOL:
  10. mmm, leather :)
  11. Don't forget duct tape!

you can hold a motorcycle together with enough of the stuff!! :)
  12. Here is some info on the history of Velcro

One lovely summer day in 1948, a Swiss amateur-mountaineer and inventor decided to take his dog for a nature hike. The man and his faithful companion both returned home covered with burrs, the plant seed-sacs that cling to animal fur in order to travel to fertile new planting grounds. The man neglected his matted dog, and with a burning curiosity ran to his microscope and inspected one of the many burrs stuck to his pants. He saw all the small hooks that enabled the seed-bearing burr to cling so viciously to the tiny loops in the fabric of his pants. George de Mestral raised his head from the microscope and smiled thinking, "I will design a unique, two-sided fastener, one side with stiff hooks like the burrs and the other side with soft loops like the fabric of my pants. I will call my invention 'velcro' a combination of the word velour and crochet. It will rival the zipper in its ability to fasten."

Mestral's idea met with resistance and even laughter, but the inventor 'stuck' by his invention. Together with a weaver from a textile plant in France, Mestal perfected his hook and loop fastener. By trial and error, he realized that nylon when sewn under infrared light, formed tough hooks for the burr side of the fastener. This finished the design, patented in 1955. The inventor formed Velcro Industries to manufacture his invention. Mestral was selling over sixty million yards of Velcro per year. Today it is a multi-million dollar industry.

Not bad for an invention based on Mother Nature.
  13. Another thing on velcro, (not 100% sure if it's true or not) is that the stuff used for military applications is designed to have a weaker "grip" - so that it doesn't make as much noise when pulled apart.