Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

vanishing point theory

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by russ, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Try this one out for size if your still on one fixed point and heading for
    this is not my theory (naturally), I got it from a british mag , any thoughts on the usefulness of this technique? I have found it quite distracting to use:

The point where the left and the right sides of the roads meet when you look
    into a corner is called the Vanishing Point.

When your going into a corner youll see this 'VP' comming toward you, this
    means your going in a bit fast, slow down a bit and follow this VP (on your
    side of the road) and as you start slowing down youll find that it moves
    away from you, now increase speed to 'catch up' to the VP until the road
    opens up. Try to get as much of this 'catch up' as possible through the
    WHOLE corner.

Give that a go!

2. The mag in question would not be Performance Bikes would it?

I've tried to do this but have not managed it yet but what I have tried is watching for when the bend starts opening out (vanishing point moves away) and then giving it some!

Works for me :)
  3. mmmmmm - my main problem with this is that it does not take account of road condition - loose gravel, oil, poor bitumen etc... but assumes an ideal (or at least consistent) road surface - have never found one yet!

Looking well through the corner is a must do but beyond that...........

4. The Aussie SBK School actually cover this on their Level 2 School days. I may have got it wrong but essentially they recommend that if you see a vanishing point first recognise it and then look for another reference point. When in the zone I have been able to use it on the road.....but takes practice.

5. yeah.. I find it works best for fast roads with fast sweepers. The roads in the
    topend were perfect for this, because you would be belting along doing
    200+ and you would go into a sweeper. You would track the VP to
    determine if the bend was opening up and closing in. In the topend, the
    road conditions are perfect-- Very little wind, no animals. Very little traffic.

However, for roads like we have in the Adelaide Hills, I've never been able
    to apply it.. because the bends are too sharp--- ie, you focus is either
    looking into the bend itself (while tracking the road with my perphieral
    vision), or.. too much information to take in due to (as mrblack said)
    road conditions-- other cars, push bike riders riding in tandium in
    a corner, trucks on the wrong side of the corner etc, people stopping in
    corners, people trying to U-turn in corners. list goes on.
  6. I don't really understand the point of this as it seems to me simply another way of what has already been writen in a few motorbike books.

The books don't write about it in the same way but simply say keep your eyes on the road surface itself, don't bother staring at signs at the side of the road as this only leads to target fixation and that leads to running off the road etc.

As of the slow and and the get on the gas well that's also in the books as well.

You should slow down when coming up to the corner so you can drop down the gear if you need to, without over revving the engine while doing it and you can pick out the best line for the corner.

You ever so slowly up the gas when you start to lean the bike over as this raises up the bike and that will allow you to clear bumps and stuff and you can lean over much better and you'll get a better and more stable ride around the corner.

So... I don't really understand what the point of writing up about VPs is for when it's only the same stuff out of any motorbike book.

You don';t change gears or brake while going through a corner as it'll upset the bike.