Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Valvoline XLD

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Raeynn, Jul 16, 2013.

1. I have a bottle of this laying around and I think the bike is due for an oil/filter change. As far as I can tell there are no friction modifiers (nothing marked on the labels, no energy saving stamp either). Has anyone used this stuff? 15w-40
    I'd rather not go out and buy some expensive 'bike' oil if I don't have to.

The bike is an '05 vtr250 so nothing too high end but does have a high red line.
  2. I thought XLD was all 20W/50, which is what I've always used in my Bms and MrsB's Ural. However those are dry clutch designs so not really relevant. More significantly, I've been using Valvoline Super Diesel in the DR650 since I bought it new. That's 60,000 km without problems.

Personally I'd use it but my opinion is somewhat skewed by the fact that I don't consider changing a set of clutch plates (which are the most likely failure point) a particularly big deal. As far as harming the engine itself is concerned, it's unlikely. Most engines are much more sensitive to having clean, fresh oil than they are to exactly what that oil is. Just don't rev the nuts off the thing from stone cold. However, that's not a great idea whatever you've got in your sump.