Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VACC calls for government recognition of motorcycles and sco

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TonyE, Jun 2, 2008.

1. The Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce has called for greater government recognition of motorcycles and scooters.

2. **Awaits pathetic gov reply...**
  3. Did they send this media release to the monsters for police and roads?
  4. or local councils?

my council has a sustainable transport plan that makes no mention of powered two wheelers
  5. Re: VACC calls for government recognition of motorcycles and

who is going to make sure that the un-named but matching condition goes along with this one?

I find it of great interest and mirth that the western world is moving away from cars toward scooters. The eastern world is busy scrapping scooters and making $3000 cars.
  6. Ah, but Australians will end up having a big car in the garage and a two wheeler each, where poorer countries would more likely have a single shared vehicle.
  7. where did the 80% stat come from?
  8. 80% - bikes involved in altercations at intersections.

We are still way out on our own when it comes to total crashes though
  9. :woot: I like this ... just coz it means we'd finally have to be legally allowed to filter to the front in order to use them :grin: Good lulck though... [​IMG]

And what's with saying small scooters only allowed in the bike lanes. All two wheelers sounds like a better plan...[​IMG]
  10. The Europeans have these boxes up the front, so the gov't can't say they wont work.

You want to ride in bicycle lanes?
    100kph vs 20kph Sunday rider.
    Who Dares Wins?
  11. hasn't stopped them so far!
  12. My thoughts exactly. In practise this is what already happens with M/C's at the full-width cyclists' boxes. But they currently belong (theoretically) exclusively to cyclists, and It won't be easy to get them to share.
    (What's the rationale for this anyway? Putting non-powered vehicles directly in the path of cars? I don't get it. Just plain stoopid.)

Someone's going to bring up the Goldwing as an example in any discussion on this :wink: I'd settle for the bike lanes and let 'em keep their bus lanes, but each to their own.

Overall though, not too bad, VACC. Points for trying.
  13. Taken from the UK Institute for Highway Engineering site at http://www.motorcycleguidelines.org.uk/mg_04_1.htm

Bus Lanes

4.4.11 Experience of shared-use bus lanes in Bristol and subsequent trials by Transport for London (TfL) would seem to indicate that shared use of bus lanes can be introduced with little or no detrimental effect for other road users (TfL 2004). Interim data from these trials indicates:
    - Reductions in motorcycle accidents between 0% and 31% at the trial sites,with no increase in overall accidents at any site.
    - Reductions in motorcycles using general traffic lanes of between 31% and 40% at the trial sites.There was no adverse effect on bus journey times.
    - In surveys 44% of cyclists reported that collisions and near misses they experienced when using bus lanes involved cars
    - this increased by 1% during the trial, and compared with 3% involving motorcycles,which again increased by 1% during the trial.The number of cars illegally using bus lanes fell during the trial, probably due to increased enforcement
  14. I'll modestly blow my own trumpet here and admit to having a (very) minor role in getting the Bristol bus lane trial off the ground nearly 15 years ago.

Bristol has (or had. I've not been back for a while) appalling traffic congestion. Probably as bad as, or even worse than, London if truth be known. Certainly worse than anything I've ever seen in Australia. Being able to (legally) zip down bus lanes past stationary queues was glorious. Mind you, I'd done it illegally from time to time beforehand. Only got spotted once and was promptly ignored by the plod :grin: .
  15. It's a shame that unfounded assumption obstructs the appreciation of the possibilities that scooters present for city commuting problems. We were discussing alternative transport at work one morning, and there was all this talk about bicycles by people who will still get in the car if it comes to it, and when I said I think scooters are the answer, the reply was, "Yes, but scooters are dangerous" and, "Well you say that because your a motorbike nut!" with a tone indicative of a thoroughly closed mind. These are intelligent reasonable people and I think their presumptive closed-mindedness is typical. I've never owned a car and before getting into bikes I commuted by bicycle. I *know* which one's dangerous; haven't had an off on the bike in six years of riding, whereas I've certainly copped it on the bicycle, even though I rode safely. Hence - all things being reasonable - one could add to the argument that, protective gear assumed, the scooter - which owns a lane rather than ducking and weaving, and which does the same speed as the other urbane traffic - simply is safer than a bicycle. Any body who has done serious commuting on both knows this.

Seriously, aside from your typical enthusiast, how many people are going to get on a bicycle, backpak stuffed with laptop and books / files, and ride ten kms to work?

I guess the scooter / bike thing will reach a critical mass at some point - I'm certain it will happen with petrol prices on a steady and irreversible incline - and then the Gov will *have* to listen.
  16. I did, and continue to try to. Haven't always been able to because I move around with the projects I work on... haven't always lived between 6 and 20km from work. :(

Being ~12km from work has been one of the criteria for choosing places I rent, in fact, for that specific reason.

But then, I have a cheetah wearing motorcycle armour for a user icon, so clearly I'm not normal! :LOL:
  17. Well, I work with quite a few guys who ride pushbikes to work. And for most it's between 10-20km and on country roads too. You may consider that as a tad enthusiastic, but these guys do it because of many reasons, one of which is a fellow's enforced 12 month walk...

Me, I personally reckon that they're crazy, particularly in winter when there's a lot of traffic and it's still dark, often drizzly or foggy. It's merely a matter of time before someone comes to grief.

The other morning on my way home from work I came over a rise to see a bright light heading towards me. It was a bit difficult to work out til I realised that it was a guy riding against the traffic....
  18. I've worked with people who ride those distances - they generally didn't do it in the cold or wet though whereas the motorcyclists there would ride every day.