Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

V8s on Seven - is it HD?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by mjt57, Aug 2, 2009.

1. I'm watching the V8 Boring Cars on Prime HD (regional Vic). It's currently being broadcast in SD 576i despite it being on Prime's HD channel.

If any Melbourneites here with a HD screen could they have a look at it, hit the "i" button and let me know what resolution it is?

2. if its boring why watch it?
  3. Thanks for the useful response, Goz.
  4. thats fine mate, but my question still stands naked without an answer :LOL: :LOL:
  5. Because it's irrelevant to what the thread was about.

And it's now redundant, the telecast having concluded.
  6. are you happy about the outcome?
  7. A lot of the HD telecasts seem to be the SD telecasts. The difference in quality of pictures from the tennis earlier this year was near impossible to pick between SD and HD. I then checked the info and it said that they were both 576i. I suspect the V8s are/were both 576i on SD and HD.

A lot of the HD telecasts aren't true HD. Apparently they run the SD through some processor to 'upscale' and fill in / interpolate the gap.
  8. And that is the state of HD in this country.

At least us regional viewers now get OneHD and the delights of the IoM in HD. And the quality of that is simply stunning.

Before I moved to outer Mongolia I had Foxtel HD and that was also stunning. True HD, when broadcast at either 1080i or 720p is such a difference, but you also need the bit rate to support it. One of the problems with HD here when the FTA's were allowed to multi channel on their SD band is the overall bandwidth hasn't changed but you've added content. So they reduce the bit rate of all their channels to fit it all in their allocated space, reducing the quality of everything.

And Ch7 used to be known as Ch 4+3 for a good reason.
  9. Its because Channel 7 sucks.......... their football picture quality sucks as does their v8's

I dont think a lot of what ch7 broadcast sport wise is HD, merely upscaled SD.

ONEHD however is excellent.