Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

V10 Bluetooth headset from Thirdgear

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by anthony_p01, Sep 25, 2011.

1. For a long time I have looked at options to listen to music while riding. * I use my iPhone exclusively when riding, and although I don’t need to be available for phone calls all the time, (nor do I want to) having the ability to take or make a call without having to take my helmet off was something to consider as well.
    I’ve used standard Apple earbuds – but they never seemed to stay in properly. I’ve tried a variety of cheap (but comfortable) in-ear headsets with the inline remote/mic which is great for changing tracks or pausing the music – and if I needed to make a call I could pull over and hold the mic up under my helmet.
    I even had a diy headphone speaker setup that worked great for a while……but with all of these options, there was one constant – my helmet was wired to either me (with my phone in my pocket) or to some part of the bike.
    I had thought about shelling out dollars for a Scala Rider or Sena headset….and then while checking out the Thirdgear website one day, I saw the V10 bluetooth headset – for $69.95. * *I’ve seen various Hong Kong & Chinese origin Ebay items for even less than that, but always wondered what sort of quality they would provide. *And dealing with an Australian based/owned company was something I preferred.
    So I bought the V10, and its Great!! * It doesn’t look too big on the side of the helmet and its easy to use. *It has a multifunction “jog-wheel” which allows you to adjust the volume up and down, and also skip music tracks. *The large button pauses/starts the music, as well as allowing you to answer/reject phone calls – easy to do with gloves on. * *Phone calls can also be automatically answered if the button isn’t pressed after a number of rings. * The microphone is on the end of a flexible boom that I run under the left cheek pad. *
    The speakers are thin, but if they were even thinner it might be better. * I wear one of those Buff headwear balaclava things and having that between my ears and the speakers makes it more comfortable. * *It’s a tight fit, and obviously each head/helmet combination is different, so adjusting the position of the speakers to allow for the best quality sound and comfort is something that I had to make a bit of a compromise on….but now after using it for a few weeks I’m used to having the speakers there, and even after wearing the helmet for long periods of a few hours I don’t notice any discomfort, and my ears don’t get sore like they did with ear-buds after a few hours.
    The sound quality is great, its not the same as ear-buds, but it works really well – even at higher speeds, and with wind noise. * *The sound from a phone call only comes through one speaker – I’m not sure if this is an iPhone thing or if that’s the way the device works. (I should ask thirdgear that…...) but it’s clear and easy to hear the person on the other end. * *
    The first call I made was to my sister and after talking for a while she asked where I was – when I told her I was doing 110kmh on the freeway she was really surprised. *She said that it sounded like I was talking on a normal hands-free phone headset. * I cracked open the visor and it got louder and sounded like I was on top of a mountain somewhere…..but with the visor down she had no idea I was on the bike while talking – just the way it should be.
    So far I haven’t received a call while riding, and don’t need (or want) to be making calls all the time, but to have the ability to use then phone when needed, and to have my music streamed to my helmet without wires…..all for $69.95 – the V10 is an awesome product.

2. Thanks for the review. I keen to swap from ear buds as well so I will check this out. I did like the G4 for FM radio feature and like you not to keen on calls. I have a month or 2 to work out which to bbuy b4 my ride to Canberra.