Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

V-Twin...I've been converted!

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Kurtis_Strange, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Yep I've listened the sound of a v-twin here and have been converted :grin:

The gixxer is too racey for me and not practical for what I want in a bike so I've moved over to the 'darkside' :cool:

Its up for sale and I'm soon to be out looking at V-Twins....so far I'm loving the idea of a VTR1000 (kindly pointed out to me by Cathar), thank you.

I didn't know they came in a sports type model, just thought it was harleys and cruisers in general...so, on we go to the next bike :roll: :LOL:

I'll find the right one eventually
  2. Here's an on-bike video, with good sound, of what it's like to be on the Suzuki TL1000R, which sounds pretty much exactly like the VTR1000F sounds, including that delicious rasping induction whine, along with the booming roaring exhaust note:

Let me know if you can't access it, and I'll see if I can host it elsewhere.
  3. But will you be broke before you find the solution? :LOL: :LOL:
  4. hooray for V twins :LOL: , that first sound file sounds more like a Harley than a "sports" V twin..how many K's did you put on your GSXR before you decided to sell it?
  5. Get yourself a SV1000 which replaced the TL1000. Stick a Yoshi or Remus can on the SV1000(S) and you will be in V-Twin heaven..

Dont let the Honda mob talk you into a VTR .. Go with the superior SV1000(S) - (Note: I only base this on articles/reviews and from discussions with non-Honda people)..

6. Sweeeet :grin:
  7. :LOL: No mate...its not going to go on forever and I got a very good deal on the GSXR so should make my money back
  8. That's great to hear, mate.
    Just bear in mind that the V-Twins also have a fairly 'racy' seating position as well, and you need to consider your major useage, which will be commuting.......
  9. um about 200 if that :p its just too high end for me
  10. He just needs to test ride them all.

This is exactly why I suggested the VTR, because of its more comfortable seating position.
  11. Well now that I have a full licence, I will be test riding anything in a shop before I buy it :wink:
  12. Problem solved, enjoy, mate......
  13. You are already sitting on the best make of bike in the world, Please ride a v twin before you comiit to one, They are incredible machines but not for everyone................

Having said that , off ya go and buy a tl 1000r and gis us a ride too. Do not buy the s , they had a bit of a oil drama when stood up on the back, Used to destroy engines .

14. yeah I'll definately test ride....

The GSXR is just too race performance for me.

I feel like I'm in a damn jet fighter plane everytime I get on it which is great about 10% of the time, but...
  15. THere are many great V-twins out there.... some of my favourites..

Suzuki TL1000R (not S)
    Honda Firestorm VTR1000
    Honda VTR SP1/2
    Ducati 996, 999
    Suzuki SV1000
    Aprillia RSV Mille

All of those bikes are redhot.. and very cool...

But yes.... as someone pointed out, v-twins are not for everyone, they are different to ride than 4 cylinder bikes....
  16. VTR? Comfortable? Huh?

Until the CBR600RR came out, the VTR had the most aggressive riding position in Honda's entire lineup.
  17. I'm liking the look of the sv1000 naked version which I understand would be more ergo friendly?
  18. Deceptive is the best word. They don't wind-out like in-line 4's. Power everywhere, no matter the gear, no matter the revs, and you'll hit the red-line before you realise it - at least until you get used to the lower motor pitch.

I had a VTR, friend had a CBR600. We swapped. He gets onto the VTR and we take off together, nailing the throttles. VTR stomps away, front tyre pawing the air in 1st, and then comes crashing down when he hits the rev limiter shortly after at about 110kph. The CBR is behind, wheezing along with no hope of keeping up.

He jumps off, and the first thing he says "Wow - it's a slow bike!". He was serious too. Of course it's not slow. It only sounded slow, and the dead smooth power delivery, with no noticable kick in the pants as it delivered him to the legal speed limit in very short time.

To people wholly used to in-line fours, V-twins confuse the heck out of them.
  19. The VTR1000F? Or the VTR-SP's? I'm talking about the 1000F. Agressive riding position, it is not, especially not in comparison to duncank's GSXR600. The 1000F's clip-ons are still above the triple clamp, unlike even the older fireblades which were below the triple clamp.

Like I said, I sat on one for 2400kms in 3 days, half of that on twisties, and it certainly was not uncomfortable. Dunno. Maybe 'cos I'm 6' and the reach to the bars wasn't that much of a stretch. Heck, I even find the R1 quite comfortable, as far as sports bikes go. Wouldn't like to sit for a whole day on one on a straight road, but I could do it on the R1 and not hate it.

Each to their own. Test ride as I say.