Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

V-Strom rear brake stupidity

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Quiquaeqoud, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Hi, all.

I have a 2008 DL650 (V-Strom).

It has done 42,000 km, and was due for a set of rear brakes I thought amongst other things.

I got a set of ERB pads from the local bike shop - they appear ok.

Problem is they appear to be excessively tight against the rotor. I nearly had to use a hammer to get them on. After a 3 km ride the rotor is too hot to touch. I managed to get them a bit looser by leaving of the protective covers on one side (please see the attached parts diagram (part 18)). They go on easier but squeal all the way and still get very hot.

When I look really closely at the pads on the rotor as they are now the one on the right is making contact with the rotor on the inside of the disc and the left on is making contact at the top.

Two things occur to me:

1) The rotor is warped; or
    2) The rubber mount (part 6) is damaged and the caliber is not sitting straight.

Before I go and get more parts or a mechanic to look at it, anybody got any other ideas?

Also, how far do you think the old ones could go? If they can last another 6,000 km they can go back on until a mechanic does value clearances.

Attached Files:

2. Depends on how u ride mate. My rear brakes could last 6000000 klms seeing I never use them
  3. Did you push the pistons back into the calliper before installing the new pads? Brake disks will get hot, that's the way brakes work.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Bleed the brakes a wee tad and push the cylinders back into the caliber then top up the fluid.
  5. Did you open up the brake master cylinder when you pushed the pistons back into the caliber? I had to do this to replace pads, and catch any excess fluid that pushes back up the system.

As another suggestion, are you sure the pads are correct? Not 2012+
  6. i thought this might have been about the stupid abs on the rear... stupidity
  7. I agree with the above posts. Check the pistons are pushed in, check the fluid level, and make sure the pads are correct.
  8. Sorted.

The spring, part 4, was badly bent and pushing on the pads.

I straighten it up, 600km later, no problems.

Thanks all.