Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

V Star 650 Short Shots exhaust

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by Gazzatron, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Hi everyone,
    I recently purchased a brand new 650 custom and had the Vance and Hines short shots exhaust fitted by the dealer, even though I asked them for supply only.
    I have a question for anyone with any experience with the short shots on a 650.
    Does it usually sound like its going to explode when I hit around the 90-100kmh mark?
    The bike seems comfortable going at that speed and when I hit the throttle it feels like theres still good acceleration its just the sound of it that makes me question if it should be going that quick haha
    If anyone can help me out and reassure me its just what the exhaust sounds like I would appreciate it.

2. Hey Gaz,

I have the V & H Cruiser pipes on mine. Sounds like the wrath of God to begin with but you'll soon get used to it.

3. Thanks for
    Thanks for the reassurance. I wasnt sure it was normal.
  4. Hi Gaz, I have the exact same bike, stock pipes. I've been thinking about the V & H Cruizer pipes and looked on utube for any info and found that a lot of folk remove the AIS pipes when they've added new pipes. That's all the little chrome pipes that run around the engine and then they bung up the holes. Not sure if I want to do it to such a new bike. Not sure it would make a difference, something to do with backfire I think. Also check out Cruiser Customizing in US. I have used them and they deliver fast and reliable.
    Cheers and happy VStarring.
    If on Facebook check out Yamaha V Star owners. Yamaha organised rides.