Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

V-Star 650 & OEM Mirrors: A Bit Useless?

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by Lazy Libran, May 4, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, I've been a 650 Custom rider for the last 2 weeks and must admit that I'm not happy with the OEM mirrors. IMHO, they are ok but not too good.

Anyone here thinks the same? I've tried various positions and movements but cant seem to make it the way I want.

Is it time to spend some money and get some better ones?

Suggestions/Feedback please?
  2. I dont have a vstar but i found the flat lens oem mirrors dont give enough angle of view at stand stills or slow speeds. Once you get going its all right.

I now use my barend mirrors with a convex lens giving plenty of angle, in most cases you only have to glance to your side now, instead of checking over your shoulder.

what functions/visbility/style are you looking for? If its the flat lens visability finding a convex lens might do the trick.
    *i sell mirrors, but im not here to sell, Im here to see / fix problems bikers are having so i can better my future products and service.

3. I had to adjust mine at the handle bar end of the stalk before I was able to get them how I liked it, the ball joint on the mirror end of the stalk just didnt give enough range.
  4. Yep, I'm still trying to get mine (on the classic) into a good position - without much luck. The field of vision is ok, but only just........!

Thought it was only me........but obviously not.

FleaBay here I come!
  5. Yeah. I feel the same way. Its ok but not good enough. The right hand side is really annoying me a lot as the mirrors are not felxible enough.

Let me know if you find a good deal on the mirrors.
  6. So its the ball joint not allowing you to adjust a good enough angle with the mirror head?
    or is it the actual mirror head position (mirror stem not adjustable is the problem)?
    can you show a picture?

i know there are some adjustable stem mirrors, but there pretty ugly. if its the ball joint (angle of the mirror head) id try getting a convex lens and double side tape, this way you see alot more and wont have to adjust the mirror head as much.
  7. ASD-Matt - its a bit of both. There is not a lot of room to move it so after a few permutations and combinations, left it where its ok'ish. While riding, I still need to bend down my neck to check my left hand side after and before a headcheck. The right hand side is fine in this regard.
  8. So do I, but.....I do in my car also, and.........

This is the side that I have an issue with! I find that the mirror is not far enough out to get a good view, no matter where I position it with the ball joint.

Perhaps if we catch up in a couple of weeks time at the cafe (other thread) we can have a chat in more detail. I have found a set of mirrors on ebay that extend out about 3cms more than the stock ones, so will give them a go and let you know what they are like. They are the same height though, so probably won't solve your problem.
  9. Sounds good to me. I work in Ringwood and so if you are driving past, please feel free to drop by. :p