Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

V Star 1300

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by vossy53, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Hi members. I have recently drilled the airbox on the above cruiser and the results are amazing. I had already removed the baffle but now all this extra air made her sound even better and more responsive in the revs area. What I like to know if this will cause it to run too lean and if this can be adjusted?? Thanks for your advice!

2. If it has carbs, then yes it will run lean. You fix this by re-jetting and tuning the carbs.

If it's fuel injected it should be able to adjust itself to some extent, since the oxygen sensor (assuming it still has one) should recognise the increase in airflow. However, since the system was designed around the original airbox you should get better results with an aftermarket computer such as a powercommander.
  3. hey u using std air filter ?
    or is that upgraded too ?
    just wondering - sounds like a cool
  4. Hi Phil.... Go to VStar1300 forum and you see many many posts on drilling the STD Airbox (Done very neatly) There are alo pics and speaking to mechanic I have been told that everything should be fine and that the ECU should compensate. Bike runs so much better! I drilled 17 of 5mm holes front and replicated the back, have a KN sports to filter the air and removed the baffle completely. Very satisfiesd and YES loud pipes have saved a coll at a round about.