Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

V-Four and the RVF400

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by DZOG21, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Howdy

Im after as much info as you can give me on the V-four engine and the RVF400 HONDA Motorcycle.

Id like to know whatever springs to mind.
    Every word of info will be helpful for me.

Many thanks
  2. V4 engines

Google it mate and you can read forever , I own a V4 and so Iam biased ,I love the torque , the sound ( loud Staintune ) and Hopefully lives a long time ( Honda) and it still goes hard enough at the top end to lose at least 2 licences
  3. iv googled it about 100 times and havnt found much to be honest.
    What im after is an array of personal reviews on v-four owners and rvf400 owners.
    Articles explaining the bike and the v-four engine.
    Im after a source thatl explain anything and everything somebody would every wish to hear if they were interested in buying one.. maybe you could tell me about yours. the things you love and hate.

Just be honest cos im buying one soon

many thanks

Ps sorry bout the typos n that im fresh outa the pub
  4. DZOG -

I wrote a post on this this afternoon but something collapsed deep in serverdom and it never made it onto the thread...so....

I have about 9 tons of information on VFR400's/RVF400's/NC30's. You can zap me back on this thread or PM me and I'll be happy to help.

The short version;

VFR(NC30) slightly lower spec than RVF. RVF has USD forks and higher state of engine tune. A good example of either will make around 56-58 hp, so the same as a nice crisp RGV250, but delivered across a nice torque spread instead of a powerband like a light switch. Not that I have anything against RGV's, I actually like them too.

VFR's and RVF's both have a tall first gear that takes some getting used to and can be a bit tough to commute with.

Both have the tiny V-4 engine that is built like a swiss watch but is a fiddly bastard to work on. Both also have gear driven cams, so camchain hassle doesn't exist as such.

Both have the usual grey import things worth noting, most notably (!) that some are speed/power restricted out of Japan and the box to de-restrict them can be a bugger to get.

Actual power delivery is a lovely cross between inline 4 reviness and V-engine torque spread. Pretty addictive, sounds great.

Possible the biggest bummer with these otherwise wonderful little bikes is that they are getting a wee bit long in the tooth now. So suspension and particularly brakes are no longer cutting edge. Not bad, by any means, but not up with the latest sporrts tackle.

They are also pretty darn small...so how big/small are you?

Love these bikes, will help any way I can.

5. I've owned 3 VFR400's (still have one NC30 for a track bike).

I can't praise them enough, great little bikes.

There are minor differences bewteen the VFR and RVF. The RVF has shorter ratios in the first two gears, has USD forks, smaller carbs, different exhaust, cams are tuned for a little more midrange, a few less horsies.

The engines in these bikes are absolutely bulletproof if the oil and filter is regularly changed, which is mainly why they're a popular choice for racing.

They go well, but more power is fairly easy to get out of them with a pipe, jetting, HRC cdi, etc, and a tooth less on the front sprocket will make the most of the power.

This site knows everything about 400's:

6. Speaking of vfours.. you reckon if we can get a worldwide petition, Honda will build a sorty V4 (since they race 'em in motoGP now)? After all V4 is like Honda's baby?
  7. Dunno about that, turbo.

I think Ducati stole Honda's baby in MotoGP. Well...Honda had abandoned it on their doorstep, after all....

8. Hey DZOG21,

I just upgraded from a CBR125RR to an RVF400 and this is what I'd say if anyone was thinking about getting one as an upgrade from a 125 or 250..

DO IT

It's a fairly small bike, slightly fatter than the 250 fireblade, which makes it weigh only about 168kg's. As old blue said, the engines are built to run forever, yet there's alot of engine crammed under those fairings (reminds me of my old 99' Alfa Romeo GTV V6).

The pick up and torque past 4,000rpm is pretty darn good and if you aren't carefull will push the front wheel into the air a bit, all the way to red line (15,000rpm). If you use it as a commuter and only have to travel say 5 - 10km's in heavy traffic, you may get very frustrated with the fact that you only hit 2nd gear 1 or 2 times, but apart from that, it handles like it's on rails and is one of the more comfortable sports bikes i've ridden. You will have to let your wrists and knee's get used to it first though.

DO IT

9. you'll hear alot about the handling of these bikes.

the good old "handles like its on rails" call is the one you'll hear most. i test rode one and the best way i can describe it is that the bike feels like 1 solid piece as you carve corners (theyre very sharp!). the bike lays over with ease and solidity and feels extremely stable while cornering.

my brother has a suzuki across and my mate has a gs500. those suzukis mentioned have a clear defining line, feeling like the front and rear end are 2 different sections. the RVF feels like its one piece (big emphasis on ONE PIECE) and a work of art at that. my cbr 250 just doesnt quite have the same grunt or handling of the rvf. i wish id forked out the extra dosh from the start for one.

i must say though that they are a performance bike. if you are learning off the bat you will learn slower on one untill you gain confidence as they are a very fast bike to start on. its hard enough to keep my licence while i fang around on my cbr.

anyway i hope it helps !
  10. Surprisingly good motor, truly exceptional handling. Not a particularly light bike but pretty compact and racy ride position, so not what I'd call a tourer. Doesn't stop Andy though.