Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Uturns. I cant work up the courage to attempt them

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by iamahot1, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Hi all

Although I have had my licence now for over a month I cant bring myself to attempt the uturn. I know the logistics involved. I'm just too scared that I'm gonna drop the bike or do something else stupid. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. The best way to gain some confidence is get into a big empty carpark (chaddy, vic market, wherever) at night and practice doing circles and figure-eights. Get slower and slower, tighter and tighter as you get more comfy with it.

Then, move on to crap wheelies.
  3. Buy another bike, weld the two together and when you want to go the other way,quickly jump off, get on the other way around and bobs your uncle!!!
  4. You've got your licence? Great, you can now forget about stupid U-turns! In real life, if you really need to make a tight U-turn, you can just go very slow and put your foot down as much as you need.
    Seriously, don't let this drain your confidence because you need that for riding on the roads.
  5. What he said! (Loz, not Padros...)
    Find yourself a nice big empty place to practise.
    IMHO the key is to teach your arms and hands to stay relaxed and not freeze up. Not easy to do in traffic.
    Stick your inside knee out and see if that helps, too. It does with some people.
  6. Yes, but he needs to learn u turns so he can pass the L test, put your foot down, lose a point thing.
  7. Yep, carpark is the way to go ;)

Start off at a comfortable speed, and do some circles and figure eights. As you gain confidence go progressively tighter, and slower.

Before you know it, you'll be doing U-turns ;)

.......hold on :) Scrub that...just do what Loz said :biker:
  8. Remember, keep your head up and in the direction you want to go! dont look directly down, ride that clutch at friction point, with small amounts of throttle, and drag the rear brake for stability, keep the small amounts of throttle steady, if you go to fast, simply put the clutch in a lil more, stick the knee out if it gets in the way, best of luck! :cool:
  9. Stupid stuff is how you learn.....so even if you don't nail the uturn straight off you'll still be gain valuable experience, mainly about what not to do but its still a valuable lesson.

The big danger when going slow (particularly when you are turning) is grabbing onto the front brake and falling over that way, SO DON'T TOUCH YOUR FRONT BRAKE IF YOU CAN AT ALL HELP IT ......when you are riding slow just use your rear brake. But a uturn is a little different since you are really using your clutch as your speed regulator and to begin with your feet are unlikely to be near your rear brake since you will be holding them out as you build confidence. So go with Loz's idea of the car park but start the Uturns with your feet hovering above the ground (training wheels) and you using throttle control and slipping the clutch to both balance and propell you around the turn. As you get over the fear stage, take away your training wheels and stick you feet on your pegs, you'll find its much easier to balance this way in any case.

I still practice my slow riding every chance I get.....riding into coffee, coming into park at home, etc etc (come on PNUT you know you want to add Tassie to that list, don't you?). The more you practice the smoother and more confident you become. Before long you'll be able to do a 180 degree burnout and "crap wheelie"(TM Loz 2005) off in the other direction.

Don't worry 99% of people will drop thier bike when they are learning its all part of the learning process, you might feel stupid but everyone will happly recount a similar thing to you about how they learnt.
  10. i've been riding 15 months and i still can't do them very well :) I have to do one to get to the bottle shop (damm)

one trick is to focus on where you want to go :)
    ride the clutch, use your rear brake

(this is def a do as i say not do as I do thing :))
  11. I was reading down this thread and finally the 5 year old offers the good advice.

I find the best way to do u-turns is simply look over your shoulder back from whence you came. And keep your head up. As soon as you look down, so will you.

And do all the clutch slipping and brake dragging like the captain said. No front brake or you'll be down. And try and keep your knee against the tank. If you start moving your knees out at low speeds you'll become unstable and its really easily to go down.

My 2c, take it with appropriately sized grain of salt.
  12. If you'd like to get a bit of coaching HART used to have practice sessions where you could ask an instructor to look at what you're doing and tailor some advice to you.
  13. Actually Matty, check the "did you drop your first bike" poll and you would find that it's standing at only 70% at the moment... :)
  14. Michelle... what all the serious posters said... with one addition... LEAN AWAY FROM THE BIKE i.e. push the bike away from you towards the turn.

Trust me. It works.

Do what has been said: Keep the revs up and ENSURE you have drive by controlling the clutch right on the friction point [DRIVE IS CRITICAL] and drag some rear brake for stability and avoid the front brake... now add the opposite lean thing to all of that and you'll go around in full lock in no time at all with heaps of confidence to boot.

You don't say what you ride.

250's have little chance of getting your fingers caught against the tank in a full lock situation.

If you ride something bigger, beware about getting your hand stuck between the bar and the tank... the sportier the bike, the more likely this will be if trying to do a tight u-turn.

Good luck with it.

Let us know how you go.

15. I have an intruder 250. When you say lean away do you mean counter steer by pushing the handlebars in the opposite direction?
  16. Practice, practice and more practice.

As others have said, find a nice quiet spot, a car park of a shopping centre, and just ride around and around.

Get some coke cans and set them up and do figure 8's around them.

Try riding in circles, and slowly get smaller and smaller.

Don't look at the ground, don't touch the front brake, just relax and take it easy.

One thing to practice is your slow riding, ie under 20km/h, just like how you did it in your L's test.

There are plenty of people who would be more than willing to spend an hr to help you.

We all drop our 1st bikes, it's the whole nature of thinking about not dropping it. I dropped mine turning around in Lids' driveway, looked down because I smelt petrol, and over I went.

Practice makes perfect,..... :)

17. Ok. Anyone in Brissie experienced enough to give me some practice would be much appreciated. I should have said far north Brisbane. Any takers?

thanks guys

There are plenty of people who would be more than willing to spend an hr to help you.

We all drop our 1st bikes, it's the whole nature of thinking about not dropping it. I dropped mine turning around in Lids' driveway, looked down because I smelt petrol, and over I went.

Practice makes perfect,..... :)

18. No counter steering at <20kms.

e.g. With the bar turned to the right and bike turning, lean away from the bars - lean to the left.

It's like you push the bike away from you.

Start with the widish slow figure eights... and slowly get tighter. When you're at full lock on the bars, you'll have to push the body away to make the turn and balance the bike... GOOD LUCK!

19. I wish that I could do that. I tap the rear brake on my bike and the front operates.

The first time that I did a U-turn after I bought this current bike of mine (Honda CBR1000 with linked brakes), it nearly tipped me over, as I tend to rear brake when doing slow turns etc..

It forced me to straighten up and stop before I went over.

So, I'd advocate judicious use of brakes, whether linked or not, when doing such maneuvres.
  20. I totally agree.

I think the best tip is to use the rear brakes to adjust your momentum. You can keep the revs up on the bike to make sure that you do not stall it, and by keeping the clutch at friction point and your foot on the rear brakes it just makes it a whole lot smoother when you try and turn.

I also agree that putting your left or right knee out does help with if nothing else to re-assure your brain that you are doing the right thing.

Hope it helps :p