Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

UTAH, raises speed limit to 80mph (130kmh) on some roads

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, Sep 30, 2013.

1. http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/56883181-90/already-driving-hull-limits.html.csp

Utah adds 289 miles of roads with 80 mph speed limits
    New regulations » Higher speeds will soon be allowed on I-80, I-15 and I-84.
    By Lee Davidson
    | The Salt Lake Tribune

First Published Sep 17 2013 11:42 am • Last Updated Sep 17 2013 10:36 pm
    And they’re off: Utahns now have 289 extra miles of highway with 80 mph speed limits — or will as soon as crews finish posting the new signs during the next week or so.
    Areas with the new speed limits include:
    0 33
    [​IMG]

Photos
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    View photo gallery (4 photos)
    80 mph hour highway sections by The Salt Lake Tribune
    [​IMG] Join the Discussion
    [​IMG] Post a Comment
    • Interstate 80 from the Nevada border to milepost 99, near Tooele.
    • Interstate 84 from the Idaho border to its intersection with Interstate 15 near Tremonton.
    • Interstate 15 from the Idaho border to milepost 366 near Brigham City.
    • Another 116 miles of I-15 in southern Utah. Combined with previous 80 mph zones there, such zones will now extend almost all the way from Santaquin to Leeds (north of St. George). However, some mountain passes and the area around Cedar City still will have lower speed limits.
    Earlier this year, the Legislature passed HB83 by Rep. Jim Dunnigan, R-Taylorsville, to allow the Utah Department of Transportation to study 80 mph speed limits in those areas, and add them where it is safe. Sen. Scott Jenkins, R-Plain City, HB83’s Senate sponsor, told lawmakers it was "the coolest bill of the whole year."
    Robert Hull, UDOT’s director of traffic and safety, said studies found it would be safe to add the 80 mph zones almost everywhere the Legislature had allowed them.
    "Based on our engineering judgment, there are a couple of mountain passes and the section through Cedar City where we retained a slower speed limit because of issues with geometry, and in Cedar City because we have a lot more traffic entering and exiting there," Hull said.
    UDOT studied how fast people were already driving in the areas with the new 80 mph zones. Hull said the vast majority were going between 80 and 82 mph on the stretches, which previously had a speed limit of 75 mph.

"That’s indicating the majority of the drivers feel safe and are driving prudently at those speeds, 82 and below," Hull said, and now that will be legal.
    In previous studies of 80 mph zones tested over several years on I-15, Hull said, the average speed increased by only 1 mph — which is one reason the Legislature said it was safe to expand those zones.
    "Again, people were already driving at that speed and felt comfortable and safe,", Hull said. UDOT will continue to study speeds, he added, to ensure that they do not rise significantly.
    While the old 80 mph zones were seen as temporary test zones for years, they and the newly added 80 mph zones are now considered permanent, Hull said. UDOT believes no further testing of them is needed because of the years of studies conducted already in southern Utah.
    Not everyone is ecstatic about the higher speed limits. Rolayne Fairclough, spokeswoman for AAA Utah, says insurance companies will be watching closely to see how it may affect accidents, and maybe rates. UDOT previously said it found no fatal accidents related to speed in earlier test 80 mph zones.
    But "high speeds bring more fatal crashes" because "when you increase speed, the force in crashes increases," Fairclough said. "Be sure you are very alert when you go onto high-speed roads so that you are not at all drowsy and your reaction times are good. Be careful, cars are coming up far quicker than ever before."
    House Democratic Leader Jennifer Seelig, D-Salt Lake City, was one of only five legislators who voted against the 80 mph zone bill. She said Tuesday she did so because she worried it could lead to more fatalities, and also because "when highway speed are increased, it results in increased emissions" and air pollution.
    Crews have already installed signs for 80 mph zones on the southern part of I-15. They also will be posting them during the next couple of days on I-80. UDOT just gave final approval Monday night for sections on I-84 and the northern part of I-15, and Hull expects signs to be posted there within a week.
    "We encourage folks to adhere to the speed limits," Hull said, "and always buckle up."
    Texas and Utah are the only states that have speed limits of 80 mph or higher. Texas allows 85 mph on one toll road. "But there are many states that are reviewing the maximum speed limits right now," Hull said.

= = = = =

Interesting turn of events. They now join the likes of Italy and France and the practical reality of UK freeways...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sounds great until you read the fine print.
    A 5 mph increase is ok but I'm hardly gunna rush over there for a blat.
    It's like the Vic Govt raising the limit from 100 kph to 110 kph. WOW.

3. How often has the Vic Govt raised a speed limit from 100 to 110km/h?

4. Hume fwy to Albury, Princes hwy to Moe. Both stretches of road were 100 kph but were raised to 110 kph after road refurbishment.

5. How often was the question.

MUARC has quite a bit of contrary research about Hume hwy at 110km/h. The Princes Fwy between Melb and Moe had slabs up to Gumbuya park dropped back to 100km/h after recent limit reviews.

The thing is, the limit in Utah was already well over what the local Victorianastan authorities credit as reasonable... and Utah raised it by another 8km/h. Given the local authorities disdain about 5km/h over, they must be absolutely incredulous that Utah could have been so irresponsible.

6. #6 titus, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    MUARC's advice has consistently been to progressively lower travel speeds across the board (ie. on every road), not just on high speed routes. That government here has done so without getting the really significant dividends expected must be an even greater surprise to them