Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Using too much fuel

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by rida168, Mar 8, 2005.

1. The manual of my 2004 Vmoto scooter says that the fitted 5.2 litre tank should last between 150 and 250KM depending on the conditions (eg. riding up hills, always at top speed etc.) However, at the moment I am only getting around 75KM before the gauge is back on empty. That is less than half what the manual says. I have noticed that I am using alot more oil aswell. The scooter has only done a 2500km so I think that this is rather odd.

Any help and advive would be much appreciated.

2. Alot could depend on your riding style - heavy throttle - and also...your weight. Though by the sounds of things it does sound a little thirsty.
    The oil usage - if a 2 stroke - should be related to the fuel use - more fuel - more oil. - not sure if it is a 2 stroke. If its engine oil you are going through - there is a chance that there is a gasket leak or crack of sorts !!
    Is the tank empty? The guage could be faulty.

3. Hi Rida,
    Firstly hows the pick up of ur scooty!!!

Here are the common reasons, Its common for the carbies to settle on dust. and mught just need cleaning and re-tuning. (NO BIG DEAL)

Another common problem is caused by worn clutch plates, Its common for 50cc's clutch plates to wear off very often.

And always have a prop fuel / 2T oil ratio. Usually the fuel oil ratio for a 50 cc scooty is 25 ml for 1 ltr(50ml for the first 1000 kms).

Good luck

4. two things come to mind.

1. The gauge is faulty. How much fuel do you put in when fill up?

2. The timing is a bit retarded. Get you dealer to check it at the next service

5. Yes, my scooter is a 2-stroke. In what way could the fuel consumtion be any different from a 4-stroke? It is not engine oil that is also being used up quickly but the actual oil that mixes with the petrol (as it is a 2-stroke) This tank is seperate to the petrol tank so it does not need to be pre mixed.

I know that the problem is not the guage because I can see the fuel level when I look into the tank and when on empty, i can put around 4.5 litres of fuel into the 5.2 litre tank.

6. check for leaks in your fuel lines .
    also holes on the tank or cracks, any hose clamps or connects that my need tightening.

is it picking up all right or very letharic?

7. there are no leaks from any part of the bike because I would have noticed it on the ground. Since this problem started the scooter hasn't been lacking performance either.

The scooter is still under warrentee for another month. As it is using more oil than usual, should I just ride it untill it ceases up and then I will get a new one because it will be as a result of the oil and fuel problem (covered under warentee) :D

8. [/quote]

Yes, my scooter is a 2-stroke. In what way could the fuel consumtion be any different from a 4-stroke? It is not engine oil that is also being used up quickly but the actual oil that mixes with the petrol (as it is a 2-stroke) This tank is seperate to the petrol tank so it does not need to be pre mixed.
    [/quote]

If you used 1 Litre of fuel and say (x) ml oil - then if you used 10L fuel, you would use 10 times (x) ML oil- the more fuel your bike burns - the more oil to. Simple algebra.

If you used (x) ml oil per (y) ml fuel - oil consumption would equate to (x) times (y). Adding the laws of enertia and friction may require an additional variable such as (x) times (y) divided by the average usage over a period of time calculated from resistance such as weight and wind and road surface friction.

Just trying being a smart ass - hope that explains it beter. :)