Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Using clutch to coast

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Danhendo888, May 14, 2014.

1. it may be something i'm not doing..

but when i turn a corner, for instance, i use the clutch for a smooth turn

but then when i release the clutch and engage throttle again, the bike slows down significantly like engine braking (maybe thats what im technically doing)

how do i avoid this when im accelerating after the turn?

2. Dont pull the clutch in for corners I would say. Ride the corner
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 3
  3. ahh too easy. thanks guys
  4. I'm curious as to how your using the clutch to smooth out cornering (assuming we're not talking about slow riding).
  5. I had this bad habit when I started riding years ago, felt unsafe disengaging the clutch entering the corner. It gave me that wobbly feeling because the bike was not in gear, almost like going into a corner in neutral...

Yep, I think that's that you are doing, perhaps unintentionally.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. im probably not wording it right but my problem lies in whenever i use the clutch basically.
    say im at 60km'h at 4th gear and need to turn left.
    i'll begin by downshifting where i use the clutch to do so.
    but whenever im done downshifting and engage throttle again, the weight of the bike leans forward alot. is there a way to smooth this out?
  7. @Danhendo888@Danhendo888, do you know about throttle blipping?

If no then read about it and try.
    If yes and tried, tell us if that helps and what it does to your downshifts?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. That's different to what you first described.
    Yes, Dima has it right, learn how to blip the throttle to bring the revs and the gearbox speed up to equal. It takes a bit of practice, but it will do what you need to do....
  9. glad you asked because i wanted to follow up with this.
    i tried practicing rev matching but everytime i downshifted it still made me lean forward.. when done correctly, is this meant to be a smooth transition between gears like, say, what you would feel in an automatic car

when i downshift:
    1. i pull in the clutch
    2. blip the throttle
    3. push gear lever down
    4. slowly release clutch
    5. engage throttle again

now i know i'm doing something wrong here because when i slowly release the clutch after i downshift, i feel myself leaning forward..

after i downshift, what should i be doing with the clutch and throttle and how much time in between them..
  10. i've been trying to understand the gearbox speed and revs etc on my ninja 300 over the weekend..
    im sure with some time and practice, i'll eventually get there
  11. You will get there.i asked a similar question when i first got my bike, the main answers i got were practice practice practice.
    Also YouTube videos on the subject will help explain better.go to road craft of Nottingham he's great on YouTube
    • Like Like x 1
  12. That's the compression of the engine slowing your momentum, and it's perfectly normal. With practice and experience you will use this to your advantage in any and every vehicle you ride or drive.
    To negate this, simply match the engine revs to the road speed in any given gear.

Blipping the throttle will not delete the compression braking effect, but will smooth the transition from 'free rolling' to compression braking. When you blip to match the revs, you should be letting the clutch out at the same instant, not slowly releasing it. Otherwise you're wasting your time blipping the throttle as by the time your clutch re-engages your revs have dropped, causing the somewhat 'violent' transition to compression braking.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Tried clutch in, down gear, blip then clutch out?
    Otherwise it sounds like your maybe changing down a gear too early
    • Like Like x 2
  14. #15 Danhendo888, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    thanks for that explanation. very helpful.
    will definitely be practicing letting the clutch out sooner..
    i've been releasing it slowly all this time
  15. will try that thanks..
    appears i've been doing this in the wrong order
  16. rather than using clutch in a turn, have you tried using the rear brake?
  17. Mate it more you than your technique. Your body.
    From your words "your" stiff ! your not using the right muscles to set "you" up for the maneuver your trying to do.
    Your feeling the forks dip so much because of your stiffness. Your holding you up and back too much with your arms. It might even be pulling your eyes down. really enhancing the dipping feeling
    If I'm braking I'm using my stomach and thigh muscles more than any other. This hold me back and keeps my head up, making it feel like the forks are dipping less.
    In a perfect world I have braked just in time to set a perfect corner speed and release. Me, the brakes, any resistance. That allows me effortlessly to move forward on the bike to keep the forks down (compressed) and the front wheel weighted. Giving me more feel of what the front tyre is doing.... hope fully building my confidence.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Read the book "A Twist Of The Wrist 2" (AKA: ATOTW2). Also watch the video with the same mame. Once you read the info in the book, and start applying it, you'll never want to turn corners with the clutcch pulled in ever again!
    • Like Like x 4
  19. @Danhendo888@Danhendo888 Firstly the Ninja 300 has a slipper clutch so you don't really have worry much about getting compression lockups. Read http://bikeadvice.in/slipper-clutch-how-works/.

Blipping the throttle smoothly is something only you can practice and learn on your bike, start off by practising on freeway offramps or coming up to a set of lights by blipping down through the gears without using your brakes (unless necessary) until the last 15 meters where you can use your brakes to stop. Once you get a sense of how much to blip when you are decelerating, practice doing the same while applying the front brake. Its hard to modulate the constant brake pressure as well as bilping at the same time. If you are doing it right, you wouldn't have to worry about slowly releasing the clutch or the bike lurching forward/backword. It should be 1 smooth motion without upsetting the bike's balance.

If you are talking about the transition between finished braking/coasting -> on throttle smoothness, check your throttle freeplay or just try your best to slowly roll on the throttle. It all about being smooth :cool:
    • Like Like x 3