Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Using Brakes on Corners

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Tomcatalex, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Is it ok to use brakes on corners?
    Sometimes I find I have no choice but to use them, I do so carefully, not too hard but I was told to use them before the corner, as Im new I cant judge every corner, or new roads Ive never been on.
    I also change gears on corners sometimes, but ride the clutch till im nearly out of the bend, just to get quicker accelleration. Is that a no no too.?

2. Some people "trail brake" round the corners (lightly using the rear), but as a general rule, use your brakes before the corner. If you come into a corner too hot and grab the front, the bike will tend to stand up, sending you even wider. So set your speed/gear before you start turning, and accelerate once you can see your exit point.

If you think you're going wide, look to the corner exit and lean the bike!

Also, you if you're still learning, it might be worth taking roads you don't know a bit slower.
  3. Ya. Avoid using the front brake at all in any corner/situation where the bike is leant over. Rear brake is ok in small doses (train yourself to be very light with it, as stomping the back brake mid corner makes a lowside likely), and can often help settle the bike.
  4. As mentioned above suddenly grabbing front brakes mid corner will send the bike upright and cause you to go wide. Being a learner the best way is to set your gear and speed before the corner as best you can but using light rear brake will help tighten up your line if you find you've gone in too quickly. There are ways to use your front brake in the corner but this is a more advanced technique that you shouldn't worry about for now.
  5. Almost guaranteed you don't NEED to use your brakes mid corner. If you're going around a constant radius corner and are able to grab the brakes mid corner then you could've just gone around the corner. If a tightening radius corner (or an obstacle across the whole road or whatever) has sprung upon you, it is my opinion that you should be using the front and the front only. As a beginner you'll have loads of grip left at the speeds you are going, and using the rear mid-corner with your unpracticed right hoof is the most likely way you are going to come off. Gently squeeze it on as you stand the bike up a little, and release it straight away if the front starts to let go.

As for changing down a gear mid-corner.... no. Get in the right gear before the corner. Also for riding the clutch through the corner.... no. You should be gently accelerating through the corner, neither of which is happening if you're changing down a gear or have got the clutch in. Get out of that habit. You're better off lugging the engine a bit but still gently accelerating, then changing the gear (or slipping the clutch) once you're through the corner.
  6. do some training where they show you how to do it properly!
    they showed us at the HART intermediate course.
  7. Tom, do a search and jump onto one of those threads. If you still have questions, ask in there.

Raven, myself, Flux, Loz and others discussed this topic to the hilt only this month. I'm not giving you the link, do a flippin search.

FWIW's, Devotard is right though.

For my own little input into this thread: Rear brake trailing is bollox if you have a modern bike with tight suspension. If you trail rear and you hit a bump mid corner and lock your rear, the biggest thing keeping you stable has now STOPPED and if the rear skids, physics says a HIGHSIDE is likely.

Best you get your cornering sorted before you start trying to add in trail braking. :soapbox:
  8. fixed :LOL:
  9. :applause: Subtle Joel, very nice!! :LOL:
  10. Any braking on the 14 whilst cornering stands the thing straight up as the brakes are so good. Best to learn to get set up for your corner, who cares if you are a bit slower than someone else. The main thing is you come out the other side smooth and safe..
  11. You're learnt not to use your brakes in a corner from prelearners course and L's test.

SUppsoe to be before the turn and also they told us to brake or stop when you have straighten up
  12. I'll put my hand up and admit I sometimes brake in corners, with the front brake. :shock: Very slightly though. I know its dangerous and when done wrong the front will wash out.

I agree with what other people said though. You should be the right speed and gear before you take the corner. If you come in too hot avoid braking and avoid looking at the argo/wall/barrier/tree etc. Instead lean more, point your head through the turn, add more counter steering if you need to.

You bike can usually do more than you think. (leaning wise, never 2nd guess traction)
  13. Rockjob, you've got more options than you think. Have a look at the recent trail braking thread.
  14. I thought I had picked up a bad habit, but I should mention that when I do ride the front brake in, the line felt easier for an unknown reason. Now I know why.

I should also add that I NEVER rear brake in a corner. What happened to FTO from the learners run is my reason why.