Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Using a bike lane

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Wil02, Mar 16, 2013.

1. "Motorbikes and scooters are not allowed to use a bicycle lane except for 50 metres before entering or after leaving a driveway or intersection"

(NSW) To me this says that as I ride up to an intersection (ie enter it) if there is a bike lane I can ride in it for 50m as I approach and when I take off I can use it exiting the intersection for another 50m.

Just wondering if that's the interpretation others would draw.
  2. I added the "NSW" prefix to the title of your thread (although this probably applies equally to other states/territories).

Your thinking appears a bit wishful - if I understand you correctly; your take is that you could use the last 50m of a bike lane to filter up to an intersection and/or use the first 50m past an intersection to sneak past more traffic. The quote below is from the bicycle section of the RMS Website, just substitute "motorcycle" for "car" if that helps...

I believe this means that if you are entering a roadway with a bicycle lane from a side street, you may travel up to 50m in the bicycle lane before entering the marked lane of the roadway (if that makes sense). Conversely, if you are turning off a roadway sporting a bicycle lane into a side street, you may use the last 50m of the bicycle lane prior to turning off at the intersection. Suffice to say, please ensure that you don't skittle any unsuspecting cyclists in the process.

That said, there's a bike lane (about 300m long) I regularly use to filter to the front of a particular traffic light on my way home from work.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Interesting thanks @Blaise the language in your quote is subtlety different as it talks about "entering a road at an intersection" whereas my quote was "entering an intersection".

The source for my quote was http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/...fety/what-you-can-do/motorcycles-and-scooters

I see the actual legislation is in clauses 153 & 158 of

I agree that it's wishful. I see a difference between "entering a road from" and "entering an intersection" but also I guess these are plain english interpretations of the legislation and therefore not definitive.

I don't think I will use a bike lane in this manner at present but I may see if I can get further clarification.
  4. #4 Blaise, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    I'd defer to the RMS wording... I suspect the po-po would and I don't think they'd let you off with a "Clover said it was okay to do" excuse. The City of Sydney's Web site wording might be hiding Clover Moore's deranged utopian agenda to rid the city of motorised vehicles by fining the crap out of their operators. First, encroach on existing roadways with push-bike lanes, lead motorists/motorcyclists on with their official looking but badly worded plain-english take of the legislation and finally, have a merry time watching the plod issuing TINs.

Another thought was the wording might have related to the filtering trial currently being conducted in the CBD but I've dismissed that as the page was last updated on Jan 7 2013 which was many weeks before the trial commenced.

Here's a possible out in Section 158:
    Is traffic classified as an "obstruction" ;)
  5. Wil02, make sure you carry a ready supply of lube if you try your interpretation.
  6. Not in NSW. From Road Rules 2008:
  7. Haha curse you damo :p
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I know, I know.
    I've been looking for loopholes too, but they are elusive.

My opinion is that I should do what's safest and most convenient for me and other drivers / riders / cyclists; Even if that means breaking the law.
    Some examples off the top of my head would be:
    • filtering
    • accelerating past the speed limit to get out of a blindspot, especially with trucks.
    If you ride like a squid, you'll attract the po-po.
    If you get pulled up, act like the upstanding citizen that you are, and explain the reason for your actions. You might find that the cops will understand and let you off with a warning.
    If you don't pass the attitude test, they will try to nail you for sure.

What should you take from my spiel? Stay out of the cyclist lane unless you are certain that you won't interfere with cyclists and piss off cagers who will try to mow you down out of spite.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Personally, i use the cyclist lane to filter through heavy traffic, however there is a few things that i keep a keen eye out for

- cyclists (because, well, its a cyclist lane, and as much as cyclists piss me off, they have a right to be on the road and in their lane)
    - oversize vehicles (one little movement to the left from them and it might be lights out)
    - adjacent side streets and car blinkers (cagers may be turning in or out of these at any given moment without warning)
    - bus stops (as you may notice, cyclist lanes go directly on the right of bus turn in lanes for bus stops {nsw}, last thing you want is a bus trying to play ro-sham-bo with your wheels)
    - keeping my speed to a minimum, only because things chop and change so much you need to leave yourself an allowance of braking time because you have so little road left on a cyclist lane. who knows when some tom dick or harry is going to open their passenger door to jump out at the shop for a hamburger?
    - i like to keep my exhaust singing when doing this, because cagers tend to look for you once they hear you, although its hard in a low speed situation

also be aware that i believe they are legalising lane filtering in sydney city for a year to see how it goes (well thats the last i heard anyway), im just not sure how it affects cyclists lanes though as damo said ^^^^
  10. Remember, the filtering trial doesn't include the feeder roads to the harbour crossings (bridge & tunnel).
  11. Anyone know the damage for riding a bike lane? Doing the dodgy on a stand still m5 and a cop pulls me over. He then went around me and sped off. Hoping he was just trying to scare me, hoping he wasn't recording my details.
  12. Having dealt with hundreds of bike accidents, I would NEVER filter up a bicycle lane, or to the left of stopped traffic either.
    One of the biggest dangers is at cross streets where the traffic has left a gap (ie don't queue across intersections) and someone takes a right turn through the gap, can't see you at all, and next thing you know you are on your ass, or headbutting a power pole.
    The number of times I've seen this very accident description beggars beleif!
  13. The RMS is just one interpretation of the law. It might or might not be the one that the judge uses.
  14. It's understandable how this type of accident occurs, but it a type that is 100% avoidable and its not really a reason to not filter on the left. The cyclist or motorcyclist just needs to have some clue about what is going on around him.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Really this is why we need legalised lane splitting, so that learners will learn that if you are splitting then you need to slow down at cross streets. This would be in the curriculum and collisions avoided if it was legal.
  16. And it happens to cyclists even more than it does to filtering motorcyclists. Despite them being in the right. Nobody is saying cyclists ought to stop travelling on the left of stopped traffic. It's something they (and we) have no choice but to mitigate against.
  17. I just received a $173 fine for riding up the bike lane about 30 meters from the intersection. Unless you have the time to go to court and argue the point then I would suggest you avoid it all together and stick to lane filtering the legal way
    • Like Like x 1
  18. As cyclists and motorcyclists are both far more spatially aware I personally feel ok with sharing a cycle lane with a motorcyclist

Unfortunately the Po Po don't

I watched them pulling over motorcyclist after motorcyclist for using the bike lane to filter forward on Williams St. I was pretty pissed off about it to be honest.

When I reached the red light at the intersection - I GOT PULLED OVER

For not having a frikin bell on my push bike.

So - $177 fine later, put the bike away and have driven to work ever since.
  19. I often use the cycle lane to go around people who are waiting to turn right, I never contemplated the legality of it.