Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

used tyre question

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by RiderK, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Hi All

Happy new year.
    I was wondering if i could get your opinion about these tyres.just bought thrse track used tyres for my bike.I use my bike for commute n weekend rides.

Do they look safe?tread seems good but just wanted to ask abt the wear around edges plus on front tyre there r some lumps which u can peel off by hand too.No repairs or punctures.tyres r 110/70 140/70 Diablo Rosso II.

Thanks in advance.

20150110_102806. 20150110_102727. 20150110_102711. 20150110_102719. 20150110_102757.

Attached Files:

2. Tyres used on the track tend to ball up around the edges etc

As long as there aren't cracks and the treads good they're probably ok.
  3. Yes they r balled up.but thre rnt any cracks.just curious that if this is going to be ok when the bike leans in the corners when ? I had used up my old tyre all the way to the edge so dont know how this will behave in a bend.
  4. They'll be fine, plenty of tread. The lumps you can peel off are 'marbles' picked up on a track day. They're not part of tyre build or carcass so will come off easily in day to day use. The wear on the edge wont cause any concern - if you crank it over that far you should be on the track too.
    Always check the build date on 2nd hand tyres - it'll be 4 standalone digits, like2612, meaning 26th week of 2012. I had track tyres in my shed from 2007 / 2009, would i use them? No. Less than 4 years old shouldn't be a cause for concern.
    Stick your thumbnail in the tyre as a guide, if it's soft and leaves an imprint they should be okay.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks heaps Lionz..its time to get em fitted :)
  6. They're fine and you will get heaps of street cred for your lack of rear chicken strips
    • Agree Agree x 1