Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

use your mirrors when stopping!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by flexorcist, Feb 12, 2008.

1. issue 1: when stopped at lights keep an eye on your mirrors!
    issue 2: when on the road know how to use your f'n brakes!

where i come out of my street, there are pedestrian lights on the main road that quite often assist me turning right on to said road, when they're red obviously. well this morning, I did, and I was in front of all the traffic. Scooter rider was about 6 cars behind. When we got up to the next lights I was a fair bit ahead of the traffic and stopped in the infrequently used left lane, (the dude at the scooter shop parks his scooters in it at like 9:30 but hardly anyone bothers to use it even before then).

I was watching the scooter rider happily make his way across to the left lane. He wasn't going as slow as I was hoping. You can fit 2 bikes/scooters in a lane and if I was turning left and on one side of my lane it wouldn't have bothered me so much. He looked a little wobbly so I lurched left and forward a bit. Thank f*** I did because he came bloody close to endo-ing a scooter and even closer to dropping the thing on my bike.

If I hadn't of moved I woulda been taken out by a scooter this morning.

So as I shook my head and parked, that's the first time I've looked at an L plate and not thought "inexperienced, ah well, it happens"... i thought "you're a tosspot how the f*** did you even get your Ls*

Please people, brake a little harder than you have to until you're confident and comfortable enough to not wipe other riders out!!!

2. good to hear you and you're bike is ok