Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

USD forks

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by josh909, Feb 6, 2006.

1. can someone explain to me why upside-down forks are better that the standard ones? is it simply a case of aesthetics?

2. looks are always the number 1 factor :p :p

but they have less flex than conventional forks so allow for better feel of the road and are generally made to higher standards than conventionals so would be better even if they weren't USD. i'm sure there are other advantages, but the flexing is all i know....
  3. Unsprung weight is also less with USD forks. This improves suspension response.
  4. they lower unsprung weight, eg only the inner tube is unsprung.
  5. Primarily it has to do with less unspung weight.

The forks as you know are directly connected to the front wheel/axle. When the front wheel has to move up and down to track the road surface, the momentum of the wheel and the fork weight acts against the wheel being able to rapidly go up and down.

USD forks typically mean less weight connected to the wheel axle, as you don't have the thickest/heaviest parts of the forks attached to the wheel. Just the light inner parts.

Also the post above about flex is also true. The bulk of the flex effort is exerted at the base of the triple clamp. USD forks means that there it thicker material here, meaning less fork flex and better stability under heavy braking.
  6. Dont forget sticktion is also decreased giving better feel under brakes
  7. I personally dont like upside down forks :shock: as its really hard to ride the bike when its sitting on its seat :?
  8. Did anyone mention unsprung weight?