Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured USB charger install question

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Philzorz, May 13, 2015.

1. Hey fellas sorry for the noob questions but am attaching a USB outlet to the bike so i can charge my phone, have purchased myself a waterproof inline fuse kit, a few questions. Is a 10amp car fuse enough for the purpose of a USB charger and also i assume the inline fuse will sit on the positive wire/terminal? Thanks in advance :)

2. Yes 10A fuse will be ample for USB charging of a phone/GPS/etc. Yes the fuse sits on the positive terminal.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Thanks heaps for the quick reply much appreciated

4. No worries!

5. 10A fuse is enough for heated grips and things too so buy a few in case later you want to add other stuff.

6. yeah got a 5 pack of 10a fuses and waterproof inline fuse holders. Gotta love ebay, total spend, $6.25 :)

7. Tap into the rear licence plate light instead of direct to the battery. That way it turns on when the ignitilon is switched on and not on all the time like it would be if direct to the battery. They have been known to drain batteries if its been sitting the garage for a week or so.

8. USB chargers are typically 1A, or 2A for iCrap and newer device charging, max of 3-4A for dual port USB thingies.
    your USB port should have a rating on it, but 5A fuse is plenty.

ideally would use relay.. but maybe just get it working first

9. mines wired straight to the battery with the fuse on the + side and when i'm not going on long ride I remove the fuse

10. you could put an illuminated switch to remind you to turn it off :)

11. If you are going to run grip heaters as well then you definitely need to use a relay as the 5A that they will draw would overload the tail-light circuit and blow that fuse when you were drawing anything significant out of the USB.
    It's not tough if you get a simple 4 pin change-over relay. The switched output goes to to your devices.
    The input (positive) comes from the fuse, and battery. The switch input comes from your tail-light and other one goes to ground.

12. I have been thinking about doing this myself. Sorry to hijack your thread but it seems in line with what you are asking.

Does anyone know of a good noob friendly video that explains how to do this?

Thanks in advance/

13. I have been thinking about doing this myself. Sorry to hijack your thread but it seems in line with what you are asking.

Thanks in advance/

14. I have been thinking about doing this myself. Sorry to hijack your thread but it seems in line with what you are asking.

Thanks in advance/

15. Just check out the 'how to ' videos on YouTube. Search for you bike model, or something similar and you'll find one.
    It's pretty simple.