Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National USA. Texting & Speeding driver kills motorcyclist. Ban texting is the call.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Jul 30, 2012.

1. http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Texting-driver-in-SD-charged-with-manslaughter-3741022.php

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I don't think the texting was the root cause of the rider losing their life. :roll:

2. I actually have to agree with this. I don't think there should be a specific law against mobile phone use in cars, but it should come under reckless driving. Eating a big mac or reading a book can be just as dangerous or if not more so. But there are safe ways to do all 3 which are not reckless. It is not like the laws are effective at stopping people here.
  3. I used to spend a lot of time in SuFu, I recognize where that was. RIP.

4. Isn't that to do with the burden of proof, you can admit to texting if the law didn't exist then argue that it wasn't wreckless. Lot harder to argue that you didn't have the phone in your hand. Easier conviction.

Though I think that they should just put a rule in for "have item in hand", then people wouldn't be able to argue that it wasn't a phone it was something else..
  5. True true, but I am a serial offender of checking my phone at traffic lights. I've never slowed anyone down and I sure as shit haven't put anyone, including myself, at risk because of this. It's the equivelent of going 1 km/h over on a dead straight road in broad day light with no side streets. Glove manufacturers are even putting conductive thread in glove fingers to make this easier, so I can't be the only one who does this.

On the bike this is far more obvious then in a car. And 3 points and a good chunk of money seems a pretty harsh penalty for this. So I think a little grey room is not a bad thing with this law.
  6. Too busy watching my six personally.

A cop on a bike could make a killing I think
  7. serial traffic offender at double the limit while texting?? what a schmuck :evil:
  8. Well, I almost became a statistic in Australia the other day when a genius started switching lanes as he was going around a bend on Beach Rd in front of me, thinking he is changing without indicating I let him go but as he was half way across the other lane he corrected ... I accelerate quickly past him and take a peek inside ... he was busy tapping away at his phone, of course still not looking at the road ahead.
    I felt like saying to him to at least find a straight portion of the road if he plans on texting.
    It was a middle aged gentleman too so you would expect a bit of wisdom?! ... clearly not.
    It is times like these when I wish I had a helmet cam, would have gone straight on youtube.
  9. I'm sure that 99.99% of people have no really good reason to be on or checking a phone whilst driving, hands free or not. That SMS or email will still be there when you get to where you are going. That call can go to voicemail and chances are the message was of no lifesaving importance.

This paranoia we have developed about being needing to always be in touch has become ridiculous. Driving or riding the phone should be out of reach. Handsfree/bluetooth etc don't really improve the situation.

Crash while using a phone and you deserve to get hung from the nearest lightpost and your body left to rot as a warning for others.

Distractions are the true number 1 killer on our roads and many of them are avoidable but people just refuse to acknowledge that.
    • Like Like x 3