Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

International USA: Miami, FL to New Orleans, LA

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Roderz, May 25, 2013.

1. For those of you who get along to Northern Coffee meets, you'll know White Frost and I have been toying with a trip to the USA and spending a week or more touring some of it on a bike.

Well, it's happening.

On 1 September 2013 we collect our bike (she's decided to go pillion due to a number of factors) and we make our way to New Orleans via a circuitous route that has us completely unintentionally staying outside of Alabama at all times. It's 11 days of riding.

We fly into Miami with very little luggage. Still undecided on whether we travel with gear, or pick up new gear in Miami and bring it all the way home.

It's all being organised through a mob called Great American Motorcycle Touring.

For good or bad, we're hiring a Harley. For good, it's the US of A, so I'm actually looking forward to riding a Harley over there. For bad, I've never ridden a cruiser in my life, and that's something I really want to rectify before touching down over there.

The tour will be self guided, so we'll be out there all on our own, with nothing but a GPS and our own bickering communication to lead us.

All up it's about $5,000 which covers motorcycle hire and accommodation for the 11 or 12 nights (still refining the details).

We're really looking forward to it.

GAMCT have suggested travelling with very little luggage. Their tips included buying T-shirts along the road to serve as souvenirs, and as for underwear, to head into Walmart and pick up a 5/7/10 pack. Talk about travelling light, "I can't even bring underwear?"

I already know that purchasing gas (petrol) will be a pain as so many stations rely on US credit cards. Cash is going the way of the dinosaur over there and they don't accept Australian credit cards in a lot of gas stations.

Does anyone else have any tips?

In particular, does anyone have any tips on cheaply getting a few kms under my belt on a cruiser? I've already looked into finagling a test ride or two, and am considering hiring something for a brief stint.