Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

USA: Man guilty of manslaughter after leaving oil on road

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by [FLUX], Jul 12, 2006.

1. http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=local&id=4354652

Guilty Plea in Deadly Pa. Oil Slick Crash

BLOOMSBURG, Pa. (AP) - July 11, 200

A Bloomsburg man has pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter for failing to report an oil slick he left on Route 42 that led to a fatal motorcycle crash.
    The Press Enterprise reports 49-year-old Donald Franklin contested some of the facts presented in court yesterday, but was willing to accept responsibility for his actions.

Columbia County District Attorney Gary Norton says Franklin was "grossly negligent" by failing to clean up or report the oil that spilled from his car's damaged oil pan onto the southbound lane of Route 42 south of Catawissa on June 5th, 2005.

Forty-year-old Carla Bickleman of the Reading area was killed when her husband's motorcycle went out of control after hitting the oil.

Sentencing will take place later. Franklin could receive up to a five-year prison term.
  2. This is a win for motorcyclists. Unfortunately, somebody was killed.
  3. Wow, I haven't often thought of that.

A few months ago I was heading out of work in the truck and saw a guy cleaning up some cleaning products he lost off the back of a ute.

At the time I though "Poor b@stard. Hope he gets it cleaned up soon."

In retrospect I should have reported it straight away to make sure someone was going to come out and make sure the road didn't have anything dangerous on it afterwards ^_^
  4. This reminds me of some kids near my work. They were spreading Liquid Soap all over a corner of the road so they could 'drift' their go-kart around. I'll have to remember this one to tell them next time I see them doing it.
  5. It's an interesting sentence, given that drivers aren't really educated on their responsiblities in that situation. Many oil slicks may not cause a car nearly enough trouble as a bike.

Hopefully in addition to making an example of this bloke, they could actually educate the public on the dangers that oil, coolant and gravel can have on vehicles especially motorcycles, and their responsiblities as such.

The problem is, in our country it's often the road works contractors who cause most of our hazards...
  6. hmm would that mean that most people with really old cars should be taken off the road as well as the way i see it they drip oil near the lights and while station at the lights and thats where we used the brakes the most
    add some rain and thats usually when u see bikers fall/slip from there bikes
    i think its more gotta do with government and what they should be doing
    my 2c worth
  7. if you explicitly tell everyone, you might have more nutcases come out and start throwing gravel and oil around because they don't like bikes.

Ignorance can be good in some circumstances. eg most people wouldn't think about putting plastic wrap between trees to catch bikes, but you can bet once that came out a lot more kids were trying it on their mates!
  8. Well in NSW they are meant to get picked up at rego time with the pinkslip inspection and not get registration until they are fixed.

Dosnt work out like that though because theres too many dodgys who pass anything.
    Theres a couple of places near work here that would pass a car leaving a river of oil down their driveway, and they just shake the box for brake test.
  9. sounds similar to an incident near my place (although the consequences werent as severe) some bright kids (who obviously drive gutless cars) put some oil on the road to cut skids, later that arvo a heap of pushies come riding along (as in the proper racing pushies) 2 come a gutser 1 has a broken hip, the other a broken arm. kids were charged with being idiots basically but cause they are kids theyre safe.
  10. They actually had this trouble up the old road (NSW, north of Sydney), where the locals didn't like all the bikes streaming up their stretch of road every weekend, so they started putting oil on the road to see what would happen...
  11. Many years ago some bloke came of a laverda (I think) on Kew Boulie in the middle of the night becouse some local had spilled 5 litres of oil to stop the noisy bikes. He rode the laverda home.. I think... just scuffed up. Later that night a couple of the local residents were killed when their car skidded on the oil. I seem to remember it was a ute. This was at least 20 years ago. What goes around comes around I guess.
  12. There's been a Kill Spills campaign running in the UK for some time.
    Generally it's caused there by people overfilling their fuel tanks with diesel.

Kill Spills: Brimming over with danger

Trucks or vans spilling diesel onto the road should be pulled over and forced to stop driving until their vehicles are fixed according to the RAC Foundation, supporting the KillSpills lobby on Downing Street this Saturday(10.9.05).

Hundreds of motorcycle accidents each year could be prevented if drivers stopped over-filling their diesel tanks. The RAC Foundation is urging motorists and bikers to report vehicles spilling diesel to the police as the police can prevent the vehicle from moving or ensure that it is retuned to the depot.

Official Government figures show that a motorcyclist is twice as likely to be involved in a serious or fatal accident as a result of oil and diesel on the road compared with ice or snow.

Edmund King, executive director of the RAC Foundation claimed:

"More care by the drivers of diesel cars and particularly heavy goods vehicles and public service vehicles would be an easy way to help reduce motorcycle accidents.

" Brimming, the practice of filling the tank to the very top, and then not ensuring that it is securely fastened with a proper filler cap almost inevitably results in a diesel spill. That can result in skidding, and possible death, for any following rider. All too often one can see overfilled vehicles spilling diesel at roundabouts and on corners. These vehicles should be reported to the police as they are leaving the roads in a treacherous state for bikers."

The problem is much more prevalent among goods vehicles and
  13. that's even more surprising given the cost of the stuff.

I remember reading elsewhere someone had designed a new filler - trialled on a scania I think - that stopped huge quantities from coming out as you went round a corner even if you NEVER PUT THE CAP ON! This would seem to be a better idea. People will never stop being stupid or careless, but you CAN stop that carelessness from having an impact on others.
  14. I don't know who told you that, but I strongly think it's BS.

That would have rasied more than a little outcry, since half the businesses in the area actually rely on the riders every weekend.
  15. I have worked on trucks for 27 years...they all leak oil and/or fuel ( at somestage)and some all the time. most of the bigger trucks hold upto 44 ltrs of oil and some hold near 2000 ltrs of fuel.Trucks go fast on straights and straights are no problem for us. but they go slow on sharp corners and thats when they can pour out fuel etc from being overfull sometimes. The rainbows are a dead giveaway but only if you see them in time. look around the carpark at safeway near the gutter where cars pull up and stop and see how much oil is on the road. (and most cars only hold say 4 ltrs and are on the road about a !/4 of the time a truck is) A little bit of oil goes a long way.Think about it.... If you dont believe me get a teaspoon of oil and flick it at a wall and then come back and have a look at it in a month.Try and wash it off with water. I think all cars and trucks should have compulsary roadworthys every 6 months or so. Just my 2 cents worth. Ride safe.
  16. as a bosch (head like a sparkplug) of many-a-truck & driver.
    in australia (NSW at least), unless the spill is over 100L, it doesnt have to be reported. 100L goes a flogging long way :shock:
    very, very concerning :?

of course, all my trucks carry spill kits.....but if they dont tell me, i cant make them use them :? :? :?
  17. Which is, in part, the reasson for our campaign here to get trucks off the Macquarie Pass, where up till the time we kicked up a stink in the local paper, diesel spills were a daily occurrence.....
  18. you'll never remove heavy vehicles from the pass.
    it wont happen.
    what is needed is some heavy policing of trucks that fill up chockers before attempting a steep hill climb. the diesel runs out the breather every time.
    truckies, against popular opinion, are not dumb. they just have too much pressure to get the job done, and less pressure to get it done with the saftey of other road users in mind. thats just my honest opinion. it is a management issue.
  19. Don't confuse accidental spills with intentional spills. The case mentioned in the OP is an example of the over-litigious USA. If this was enforced around here then half of the metro buses won't run.

Spilling Diesel on purpose OTH.... life sentence to sodomy please.
  20. dude, EVERY time an HV attempts any portion of the Great Dividing Range with full tanks, they effectively 'intentionally' spill diesel. it is a given, no way 'round it.