Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[US] US trials cars that talk to each other.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by robsalvv, Aug 22, 2012.

1. http://www.statesman.com/business/t...y-test-cars-that-can-communicate-2439387.html

2. How does it alert the driver to all of these different issues? I can't see how it's audio only, as how do you distinguish a car "about to blow a red light" to a car "braking in front of you"? Will it speak these issues out? Is that enough warning? Is it visual cues? Do drivers now need to spend even MORE time not watching the road in order to watch their tech (or speed etc)?
  3. In an ideal world, I disapprove of relying on technology to perform tasks which alert drivers should be doing anyway. Unfortunately, in the real world, the mythical alert driver is even less likely to be found than Bigfoot, and so I'm becoming more resigned to the application of technology to make up for the deficiencies of the lowest common denominator.

However, even leaving aside the big brother concerns, which have been aired here numerous times, I can see problems occuring during any kind of transitional phase when a significant proportion of vehicles on the road are old enough to not have transponders. For instance, what happens when drivers of transponder equipped vehicles start to rely on the technology but the technology cannot "see" a proportion of other traffic?

And where bikes fit into this, I'm not sure either. Again, the subject has been done to death. I don't have too much of a problem with a technology which allows a car to "see" me even when it's driver doesn't, but where does it leave me if I'm on an older bike which the car won't "see" and so the driver assumes that I'm not there? About where I assume myself to be now, I suppose, but worse off than I actuially am :shock:.

In this regard I'm less concerned about individual technologies than I am about the mindset that lies behind their implementation. Because motorcycles will never have a place in a world where all "unnecessary" risk is eliminated and those who would create such a world do not appear to be psychologically equipped to understand why some of us may consider their aim to be a bad thing.