Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

US Senators opposed to banning of mobile phones

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by dan, Dec 28, 2005.

2. This is only a single US state, Nebraska, not the whole country.

The US Senate has bigger fish to fry, like rolling back restrictions on carrying concealed weapons in public.
  3. well, there is some logic to this though - where *does* it end? Is talking on a mobile really that much more distracting than talking to a passanger next to you? Ever since I was nearly run over by a mother driving while trying to subdue her brats in the back seat I've felt children should not be allowed into vehicles unless bound and gagged, but I don't expect this legislation to pass...

We need fewer laws, and more common sense.

No, I don't know how to achieve that. But I suspect the only way is to slow down and relieve some of the pressure of everyday life. There should be less strife and more pleasure - in absence of stress, more common sense and courtesy would appear. Sadly, our society is heading in precisely the opposite direction, but we can dream, huh?
  4. Yeah I guess it's the same argument as we're using for higher speed limits - the average driver will determine what's safe for them and act accordingly, and the rules should be set according to what the average driver is doing.

Applying this to mobile phones, I don't think I've been on a single trip for some time without seeing at least one driver talking on the phone.

And while I agree it makes the road a more dangerous place for a motorcyclist, it's just one more warning sign to look out for as you're riding up the road... And a bad driver giving out warning signals is easier to spot that one that isn't...

Besides, if my own car driving serves as any sort of example, general inattentiveness and sleepy bastardness is more the issue anyway. Cars are dead boring to drive and people lose concentration.