Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[US] Police traffic quotas

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by TonyE, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Of course police management everywhere else will still deny they do it!

A jury on Monday awarded $2 million to two Los Angeles police officers in a civil suit against the city and the department alleging there was a "quota system" for writing traffic tickets on the city's Westside.

Officers Howard Chan and David Benioff, veteran motor officers with the LAPD's West Traffic Division, sued the department in 2009, alleging that their captain mandated each motor officer to write 18 tickets a day, according to the suit.

In addition to the quota, officers were told the tickets they gave out had to be for "major movers" such as speeding, lane straddling or running a red light -- offenses that could each generate revenue of several hundred dollars each.

Full article at http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/04/lapd-traffic-ticket-quota.html

2. Props to those cops; they stood up for what was right, even when their jobs/careers were threatened. There's a lot of people who wouldn't.

3. I think it's refelctive of an over litigious society myself.

Highlight it by all means, but what the **** did they need $2Million for?

Now the cops will have to go and write MORE tickets to defray the lost revenue....

4. Probably because, having brought the action, their chances of ever working again in the job that they're trained and qualified for are now on the far side of zero.

5. The christmas party?

6. Because as Pat rightly pointed out, by not toeing the line, shutting up and being good little revenue collectors, they'll most probably never be able to get employment as cops again.

They most probably objected at supervisor level and it esculated from there.

People that I know who are cops, or signed up to be cops, did it because they want to"serve and protect". Instead they got turned into glorified metermaids.
    Revenue collecting by means of traffic "violations" does nothing positive for police PR, so I can totally understand that these 2 officers objected in this manner.

7. Also,
    "The damage award was for loss of reputation and specific employment actions against the officers by the department affecting their careers after they reported the misconduct and refused to meet the quotas."

sounds like the higher ups attempted to punish them/intimidate them into towing the line by shifting them to dead-end assignments or something.