Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National [US] Pennsylvania DOT offers FREE motorcycle safety courses - up to 21hrs

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Pennsylvania's government is putting their money where their motorcycle safety mouth is and offering motorcyclists free skills courses. Up to 21 hours of structured training. My hat is doffed to the folks at PennDOT.

By practicing proper riding techniques and learning how to handle their motorcycles in all types of road and weather conditions, motorcyclists can further reduce their chances of being involved in a crash.(Formatting added for emphasis)

:!: Is anyone on the Draft national road safety strategy taking notice? :!:

= = = = = = = =

PennDOT urges motorcyclists to enroll in free safety courses
    Published: Monday, February 07, 2011, 12:02 PM Updated: Monday, February 07, 2011, 12:54 PM

PennDOT is encouraging motorcyclists to enhance their driving skills with the 2011 Pennsylvania Motorcycle Safety Program. The program offers courses for new and experienced riders at approximately 70 locations across the state. Courses are offered March through October. “Through the Pennsylvania Motorcycle Safety Program, we are committed to helping all riders improve their safety knowledge and operating skills,” acting PennDOT Secretary Barry J. Schoch says in a news release.

“By practicing proper riding techniques and learning how to handle their motorcycles in all types of road and weather conditions, motorcyclists can further reduce their chances of being involved in a crash.

New this year is a three-wheeled motorcycle basic rider course, offered in Lehigh, Butler and York counties. Officials say these motorcycles are becoming increasingly popular, and present unique safety concerns.

A 15-hour basic rider course consists of five hours of in-class instruction and 10 hours of practical riding experience. In this course, students are given a motorcycle and helmet, but must provide other protective gear. If that has been completed, it can be followed by a six-hour refresher course to practice on-road skills. Students in the second course must provide their own motorcycle and protective gear. Each rider in this course may carry a passenger while practicing balance and steering techniques.

All of the courses are free to Pennsylvania residents who have a motorcycle learner’s permit or motorcycle license. They are conducted on a riding range, under the management of certified rider coaches.

For more information and to enroll in a course, visit www.pamsp.com or call 1-800-845-9533 between 8 a.m. and noon Monday through Friday.
  2. Oh man, I would SO be there if they offered that in Aus (Vic)
  3. It will be interesting to see their assessment of whether it reduces accidents/injuries.

Rob, do you know if this was introduced "because it seemed like a good idea" or did they base their decision on any studies?
  4. Grey, I've not seen anything to say that the changes were based on studies, but there's a growing body of work that shows that competent and trained riders are safer riders. I'm sure this has fed into PennDOT's thinking... actually I think the US is on the road to compulsory training for all riders.

My news feeds over the last 6 months have been spamming me about big big changes going on in the U.S. Up until not that long ago, there was no compulsory basic training at all. Now most jurisdictions are mandating it for young riders - but from what I gather, there's still no license test as we know it, just mandatory attendance of something akin a HART learner to Novice skills type course.

There's been a strong outcry from riders claiming nanny state politics is taking place! Hah! Welcome to Beigetoria. lol.

Interestingly, the proportion of motorcycle fatalities in the US is only a little higher than our own - something like 15-16% versus 13-14% and we have mandatory helmets and basic training and LAMS. I find that fascinating.

If gear, basic training and LAMs only gives us a 2 - 3 ish% advantage, then it's not the panacea it's made out to be.

Once again I think Cheffie is right on the ball. Seems to me that riders have to look closer to home - and become better riders! That way you're more likely to avoid scenarios and mistakes that end up hurting you. It seems so obvious.