Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[US] Ground breaking motorcycle study, 100 bikes black boxed

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, Mar 14, 2011.

1. http://www.clutchandchrome.com/news/news/spring-start-of-motorcycle-safety-study

The motorcycle safety foundation of America is going to instrument and video camera 100 bikes, and study their every move, mistake, near miss, save and crash for 12months. It's the most comprehensive motorcycle study of it's type in the world.

Should be interesting.

How would you like to be scrutinised to that degree?

2. Some long as I was indemnified from that data being legally used against me to lay charges, I'd happily do it to provide evidence that speed and aggressive road riding is not the killer that that the myopic authorities believe it to be.

Sadly though, I fear that it'll just result in a pack of beige riders reinforcing the standing position.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Is there an American MUARC? :p

If the study is to find why motorcycles DON'T crash then this could well be brilliant. If it's a concerted effort to analyse rider behaviour to modify it and police it then they can jam it.

They would also need to have some kind of rider narration or interview/feedback system in place to understand why the rider is making the decisions they do.

Only a rider understands a rider.

4. I wouldn't have a problem with being part of such a study, provided of course there was some disclaimer that the data recorded could never be used as evidence against me.

5. id do it... if i had another bike that wasnt wired up when i wanted to have some fun :p

6. I'd do it, coz I'd like to see how I score.

I agree, 12 mths worth of data is a comprehensive amount, and I'm quietly impressed.

But somehow, the information could come back to haunt us if put in the wrong hands. ( they could twist it to make any argument that suited an agenda. But I guess we gotta have faith, right.

Being the U.S, I can at least see half the bikes being cruisers of all sorts, since they hold a majority of use over there, and ridden with minimum skills, in my experience. That will unbalance the perspective.
    But I am very curious as to what they make of the data, and how they chose to interpret it.
    It IS an opportunity that if it isn't waisted on politicking, would/could be interesting

Unfortunately FLUX, while a skilled rider like yourself would easily disprove the 'speed kills' bullcrap, there is a fair chance that many of the other riders could do their best to to prove the theory correct, mate. :-(

7. Asif the first 3 days aren't going to be 100 people trying to break each others top speeds.

8. I hope the MSFoA is doing this to speak for riders, and won't allow it to be used as ammunition against them.

Let the cagers be black-boxed before they throw stones from their glass houses.

9. hah I wonder at the end of the 12 months if they hit you up with XXX speeding fines?

10. Agreed Flux

I do think however that the data could be used to make better motorcycles. The study is a great idea, in principle. Interesting to see what information is gleaned and how they will ultimately apply it.

11. G'day everyone,..

I agree,... there would have to be indemnity against it being used against you.

Also who are the 100?

Will they mostly be learners?

How are they spread across the experiance spectrum?

Either way I bet those 100 will be on their best behaviour for the next 12 months.

Dr Who?

12. +1. It'd have to be an even distribution of bike, rider age, experience, training etc...

If you know skilled riders in the states, get in contact with them, get them on this study and unbalance it in our favour! :D

13. That's one possibility. Another is that the people who collect the data are as good as their word and don't identify individuals, but another person or group gets their hands on it and goes "Look! Motorbikes are bad because we watched 100 bikes over 12 months and we saw 38,882 traffic infringements, but only 427 citations, and 88 of those riders still have their licences and are still killing a thousand kittens a day. Somebody think of the children!"

• Like Like x 1
  14. That same person would have to be able to argue the apparent danger represented by those 38882 infringements - otherwise the double edged sword could be used to cut off their nose to spite their officious bug like pencil dick face. They could have just proved that those infringements had nothing to do with safety. :eek: ...it'd mess with their ontological perspective no doubt, hopefully leading to a complete mental meltdown... one can hope.

15. It'd be awesome.

Show the public exactly how many f-wit drivers are out there.

:D Score? :D

Id love to see the footage from a bike you or flux were riding. Pretty sure the beige cardies reviewing the footage will be shitting bricks just watching it.

I think theres some truth to this.... Conspiracy overtones notwithstanding.

If the people reviewing the data are going to be cagers, they won't understand reactions made... Could be interesting.

EDIT: @Rob: It could be interesting when they get the speed data and find out that every motorcyclist speeds but not all of them are dead. o_O :D

16. My whole suburb's a 40 zone now, which I've never seen enforced and seldom obeyed. The cops tailgate and overtake the small minority who actually obey it. I realised today that if I get in my car or on the bike and gun it up the street I can just about break the law before I'm past the next door neighbour's house. I'm amazed anyone in this postcode's still alive, because no one is obeying that limit.

17.  Top
  18. You, Sir, are channeling Jeremy Clarkson! I absolutely agree, though - this could very well be used as evidence to support a crackdown or licence hikes or... some crap thing, anyway.

As for the 'Height Kills' link, thats exactly whats happening here with speed. Sure, speed can lead to fatality and accidents... but not neccessarily. I myself would be dead thousands of times over if 'speed kills'. All I've managed to prove so far, though, are the following points:

1) Travelling at speed can remarkably improve your point-to-point times.
    2) Travelling at speed can be quite an enjoyable experience.
    3) Travelling at speed can give poor fuel economy.
    4) Travelling at speed can attract unwanted police attention.

Not that the governement would ever listen to a body of people with thousands of years and millions of kilometers of collective riding experience.

Cheers - boingk

19. When this study was discussed in Cologne last year by the MSF, the objective was clearly declared as being to find out what strategies riders used to avoid crashes. In that respect its a good idea as the MSF is funded by the motorcycle industry and is aiming to produce some qualitative and quantitative evidence to actually analyse what riders do right.

It's unlikely they will have chosen riders who will ride like tools just to show how gun they are and thus play into the hands of the bureaucrats. Given the chance to have my bike wired up and the opportunity to get the bastards off my back, I'd ride like a saint for the 12 months and make sure my 99 mates did the same.

20. +1 rider5, if you read the article it follows a 2005 car survey, 69 crashes n 750 near crashes !!!!!, I think this would show everyone else just how vulnerable we are