Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National [US] Driver who ploughed into motorcycle group found GUILTY of homicide

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Sep 30, 2013.

1. I thought the original report was on NR someplace, but can't seem to find it - May 2012, a driver deliberately crossed the white line and ploughed head on into a group of motorcycle riders... the court case has finally come through. The driver will be in jail a long time.

Here's some pics from reports at the time - horrific stuff.

= = = =

FOND DU LAC, Wisc. (Fond du Lac Reporter) -- Missing a leg and hooked up to intravenous antibiotics Eric (Rick) Vandam said Tuesday he was glad to be in a Fond du Lac County courtroom.

The motorcyclist from Muskegon sat in his wheelchair as 26-year-old Clinton Lovelace was found guilty of two counts of homicide by negligent operation of a motor vehicle and three counts of second degree reckless injury/ endangering safety.

"I haven't been able to make any of the other hearings and I want him (Lovelace) to see me, to make it more real for him what he did," said Vandam, who was one of several cyclists injured in the May 31, 2012, fatal crash. The crash took the lives of two members of the Muskegon Motorcycle Gang.
    Lovelace, of Hilbert, sat quietly next to public defender Mary Wolfe. A plea agreement was reached on amended information in the case. Judge Gary Sharpe will sentence Lovelace on Feb. 6.

Lovelace is accused of driving into a group of 12 Michigan motorcyclists on Highway 151 in the town of Taycheedah. Killed in the crash were Douglas A. Younkers, 43, of Muskegon, Mich., and Daniel L. Winsemius, 59, of Twin Lake, Mich. Three others, Vandam, Garry L. Ferris and Douglas Williams, were critically injured in the crash. Only two of the motorcyclists in the group escaped the crash without injuries.
    District Attorney Eric Toney said the resolution requires that Lovelace face more than 30 years of prison. He entered no contest pleas to two homicide charges for the two riders he killed and alford pleas to three felony charges of second degree reckless injury for the riders that he seriously injured.
    "We believe the State's recommendation at sentencing will be supported by all the evidence, address the significance of the incident, the need to protect the public, and the defendant's character, while sparing the victims and their families the need to relive these horrific events during a week and a half trial," Toney said.

By Sharon Roznik, Action Reporter Media
  2. He deserves a LOT longer than 30 years, IMO.
  3. Finally some good news after such a terrible event. Can only hope other judicial people take note.
  4. Despicable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. lucky for him that Wisconsin doesn't have the death penalty
  6. Not officially, but if he gets put in general population with a bunch of jailed bikers he may have a rough time of things.

What a shame.
  7. Cut his legs off.
  8. I wonder what the hell he was thinking when he drove into them?
  9. Wow. Thats disusting. Why would you drive into some other bikers having a good ol time.
  10. No (polite) words for this , Rob . What was his motivation ? Irrespective , should be minimum life (ie never to be released) or preferably a bullet !
  11. Yeah, it's a funny thing, our "justice" system in the western world. We try to make ourselves "giving" and "human" by considering the motive, or the state of mind of someone when the commit a crime. Unfortunately I sometimes feel as though the victims right to exist peacefully and not suffer harm is trumped by the criminals "right" to have their "state of mind" or "temporary lapse of judgement" considered when sentencing.

Everyone makes mistakes. But damn.
  12. Just to be clear , I wasn't in any way trying to defend the guy by asking what his motivation was ( and I'm not saying that was what you were implying either ) . I was merely curious as to what would make someone do something like that .
  13. Nah, fair call GoldNine - not having a shot. Tough to have an open discussion and do the whole "what if" and "maybe" thing on the internet isn't it.
  14. No mate , I didn't think that you were - just thought I'd better clarify what I said in case other people got the wrong idea .