Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Urgent: RS250 Stalls and wont start

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by RS250GP, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Hey everyone,

riding along the rs250 yesterday afternoon, I went to take off at the lights and I couldn't get past 3000rpm as the bike wouldn't rev at all. Then it just stalled, went to kick start it again. Just got it running pulled over and it wouldn't hold idle. Waited about 5 minutes checked fuel, fuel tap, oil, etc. Then it started and rode fine for about 3 minutes and stopped. Tried to start it about 10 times and the dash started to fade, and for some reason the green N light wouldn't come on even though the bike was in N and the kill switch was on. Then to make things worse I turn the ignition off and the tacho starts to flicker..... and stops. I attempt to start it again and find that everything has been reset clock, shiftlight. I attempt a push start and success for another 4 minutes, but once again it dies. Now nothing works... I checked the battery with a meter and it only shows 8-Volts of power. I had to push it for 1km... :mad: Could it just be the battery or a blown engine, sticky power valve? Please help, i've only owned this bike for 2 weeks.

2. If it was running then it shouldnt be the battery alone.

Clearly your battery is flat now. Once it's charged back up you will need to check the charging system is working properly.

For it to not rev out and die has all sorts of possibilitites - check the electrical charging system first before you delve any deeper.

3. this is very typical of a 2stroke with a dud battery OR charging system.
    firstly, i would be trying to charge the battery witha battery charger.
    then check your battery terminals to make sure they are clean and making good contact.
    if your battery is holding charge, start the bike and let it idle. when it is idling you should be able to read a voltage of between 13-14.8v, any less or a great deal more is indicative of a fault in the regulator/rectifier or alternator.
    i would assume that it is your battery though, a battery is dead flat at ~10-11v so reading 8v pretty much means it is spent.
    my RGV went the same when the battery fcuked out :)

4. thanks guys, i`ll get a replacement battery tonight and fit it up. :cool:

5. +1
    i'll second that.

If you find that you bike starts and at idle you are at mid to high 12's, rev the bike up and make sure you vlotage comes up into the range that joel mentioned. If it does then the charging system is likely ok and it indicates average battery.

An aside, 2banger electrics are quite minimalistic, make sure you are not overloading the system with higher wattage globes/rice lites etc