Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Urgent puncture help on Phillip island

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ruski, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Hey netriders, hate to ask for help after not being on the forum for a couple of months but im stuck. Nail in my back tyre, dead flat. nothing is open, racv arent all that useful and $550 for a tow back into town (can't afford). Is anyone down on the island today that has a tyre plugging kit and can help me out? I have cash to trade you for your efforts. I just want to get home :nopity:

2. Hope you managed to get some help Ruski, bad day for a puncture. :(
  3. sort of, thanks Chris. Ended up getting a friend to drive me home, heading back out there today with my dad's work rodeo and trailer. Bad day to learn my lesson about not being prepared I would say! I've been meaning to get a tyre plugging kit and keep putting it off.
  4. A can if tyre weld will plug the leak and inflate the tyre. I used one when my rear tyre had a piece of plastic completely puncture it. Takes 20secs and your back on the road, I rode on tyre for another couple of weeks before getting it fixed.

Edit for readability: A can of 'tyre weld' will plug the leak and inflate the tyre. I used one when my rear tyre had a piece of plastic completely puncture it. Takes 20secs and your back on the road, I rode on tyre for another couple of weeks before getting it fixed.
  5. Want to clarify that Salty? ...sense, you did not make.

This thread has 100% convinced me to buy a tyre puncture repair kit. Does anyone have some recommendations?
  6. yep, I got the hard sell on it as well when I picked up my bike (PS organised insurance for me through Swann) I'm certainly going to look into it as a backup now, thanks for the heads up.

Salty, is this the stuff you are talking about?
    (sorry to link to supercrap, I know they are open today is all)
    If it is then do you pull the offending article out and plug the hole or leave it in and seal any gaps?

I'd much rather ride home than put my baby in a trailer.

7. What didn't make sense about it?

He got a puncture from a piece of broken plastic, used a can of tyre weld to fix it, and rode on it for a few more weeks before getting it repaired. It took him 20 secs to connect the can and pull the trigger.
  8. Just be aware that tire repairers hate that stuff though, it takes a while to scrape the gunk out when you get a full repair done so they will charge you extra. But it beats sitting by the side of the road.

This is another option.

9. I carry a kit like this one .

TIP: if you carry one with the "rope" type plugs, carry rubber gloves too !
  10. yep, those co2 cartridges kits are the go....
    Make sure you follow instructions though.

BUT, a tip in using them is to make sure it comes with some sort of cylinder attachment that lets to controll the release of co2.
    If you release the co2 in one hit, it can freeze the rubber seal (and your hand if your holding the cylinder) in the valve which hardens resulting in a fair amount of the co2 getting out untill the seal softens again.
    I've know some to end up needing 6 cylinders for that reason.

Another thing is most kits come with 16 gram cylinders where you'll need 3 as your typical rear tyre would require about 45 grams.
    My kit did come with 3 cylinders.
    They do sell 45 gram cylinders but they're not so common..

One final tip.
    After you fill your tyre with co2, and the next tank fill, let it out and refill it with normal air.
    Tyres filled with co2 will most likely start to loose pressure a day or two later...

Learn't alot of this from my cycling where we've found filling a bicycle road tyre to 110psi with a co2 in 4 seconds is a better option of a hand pump for 20 minutes.
  11. I originally bought a Cargol because it was relatively compact. Never had to use it myself but used it for a mates bike. While it got him through the relatively short ride home so that he could then get the tyre repaired properly, it certainly didn't seal properly and wasn't holding pressure. I subsequently read a magazine review which basically concluded the same thing. So I guess I am now suspicious of how good they are.

Someone on Netrider (Deadman, I think) said they work or work better if you use come adhesive on the screw.

However I have had a puncture fixed with those rope twisty thingos. It worked well and didn't leak and ended up staying on the bike far longer than it should have with no problems whatsoever, so I now carry one of these.
  12. That may be the case, but is it really the sorta thing you want to be doing on the side of the road?
  13. Sorry NiteKreeper, I am not sure I understood that.

What I meant was that before you use the Cargol add a bit of adhesive to it. Wasnt my suggestion so can't asy it would work but also can't see it would hurt.

unless by your comment you meant experimenting on the side of the road. If so I agree which was the point of my post.
  14. pfft Having a kit is fantastic. Takes 3 quarters of sweet fack ull to do. You don't even need to loose your gloves(or take of your helmet) depending upon the kit.
  15. well I'm sorted finally - dropped the bike off at Mick Hone this morning and I'll be picking up a bike with repaired tyre this afternoon. As well as a puncture repair kit.