Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Urgent please help!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by loth, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Ok this arvo I cleaned and lubed the chain, and topped off the oil in my GPX250. It looked a little low.

I then went to Hurstville and back from Maroubra. Around 40 minutes of riding... thought that the bike sounded strange, like a rattling of some sort... But thought nothing of it.

Turned off Botany Rd on Wentworth avenue (not the one in the city) and it happened. The bike made a 'swallowing' sound, and the engine sounded like it was 'muffled', it's hard to explain. I pulled over, and it died whilst slowing down. Started it again, and kept the rev high because it would die on idle, and A LOT of smoke was coming out of the left exhaust (GPX250 has 2 exhausts). The smoke did not stop and luckily made it home, but it still has the same problems as of now. It will not go above 60 KM/H no matter how much I pushed it, and has a lot of trouble going from 0-60.

The sound is very hard to explain. Before it sounded clear, and kind of high pitched. Now it sounds like a low grumble, like it's muffled or covered. I think it may be the oil but I need the bike to be running for tomorrow as it's the only mode of transport I got, please help!

2. You've over-filled it with oil and it's sucked the excess into the air-box. You'll have to take out the air filter and clean it out as best you can so you can ride it tomorrow, (although I'd catch the bus if you can), and get the bike onto level ground and check the level, and try (not sure how) and remove some of the oil from the sump...... (Rotten timing since the bike shops are closed, but you're going to need a new air filter element straightaway).

3. What Paul said, OR
    You have rooted oil and compression rings in one cylinder, that could also be why it is hard to rev, and smokes.

Look at the level of oil first, if it is correct, then look at the air filter and see if it is soaked with oil. If it is, replace it, and all should be ok, if oil level is right, and filter is dry, then get your wallet out, it's gonna cost.

4. always check the oil with the bike off the sidestand or on the sidestand whatever the manual says.... there's been a few incident like this where you have to make sure bikes in teh right posi before you check it and fill it etc.

5. I tried removing the air filter (oily, but not *that oily*) and started the bike. BTW the air filter box was quite clean.

It ran the same .... muffled noise and all. I re-checked the oil level, and it is as it should be, halfway through the window level check on the centerstand.

I fear I have blown something...

6. Do you guys reckon I should ride it around tomorrow, and hope the excess oil (if it was that) just 'goes away'? *sigh*....

7. Get the hose you and take some oil out.

8. if it's anything like a car, stuff like that just doesn't go away if you cross your fingers and rock in the foetal position ;)

Out of interest, is it kinda bluish smoke? I heard once that bluish smoke = something to do with your oil .. is that the case for bikes too?

9. Well it seemed like white smoke... may be burning oil?

10. Worse of all I'm going for my P's this Friday. To book a bike, I think you have to call like 2 days beforehand. And it's not happening. Man, this couldn't have happened at a worse time.

11. Damn Trev what did ya do :eek: Hope you get it fixed!

12. poor timing dude :(

Ths GPX engines are usually pretty bullitproof but they do not respond to overhauls well (breaking all the seals etc to find internal probs etc...)

Sounds like smart football to book a bike for the test. Then take it to a mechanic to get it checkeds out. Sounds like you have blown a compression ring.

Good Luck!

13. poor timing dude :(

Ths GPX engines are usually pretty bullitproof but they do not respond to overhauls well (breaking all the seals etc to find internal probs etc...)

Sounds like smart football to book a bike for the test. Then take it to a mechanic to get it checkeds out. Sounds like you have blown a compression ring.

Good Luck!

14. Oil smoke is blue, but it can look almost white if viewed in bright sunlight.
    Aircooled motor, so obviously not coolant.
    Don't like the sound of the rattling, followed by the apparent major loss of compression in one cylinder.
    I'd be putting all my energy into finding a bike to borrow for the test.