Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Urgent Help with chain

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by paul_b, Apr 21, 2007.

1. I know this is prob in the wrong forum, but am in a bit of a panic.

Going away on bike tomorow, so I cleaned the bike yesterday, including the chain. Used a small amount of kero on chain as it has about 20k of crap on it. Nice and clean but now on the stand the chain is very noisy. Have I done it in???

I've relubed it and am going to go around the block to see if it gets rid of the racket.

Thanks in advance
    Paul

2. did you re-lube it??

3. What's the slack like. It might want tightening. :)

Also, check for tight spots. 20k is a long way to go without cleaning. If it hasn't been lubed in that time either then it might be rooted. :)

4. Don't panic - kero is fine.

As posted above, tighten (not too tight!) as per specs and ride.

5. After the kero, I used a really light lube I use on my my push bike called prolink, then let it sit for a day and re-lubed with the motul stuff.
    I can't feel any vibrations riding it but the noise is still there. It makes a creaky sort of noise every one to two links when on the stand.

Chain tension is good.

Thanks for the help
    Paul

6. You should probably check that it's okay to use this on rubber as a pushbike has none!

Doesn't sound good, you may need a new chain, if not immediately then very soon if the rubber rings are wearing.

7. Did you check the chain tension several times while spinning the back wheel? Sounds like you may have a "tight spot" or two :?

8. could just be "gritty". like sh*t sticks to the lube, should go away. if it doesnt, see youre mech for a chain before you root your sprockets