Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Urgent help needed - snapped bolt

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by blackjacket, May 17, 2008.

1. Was doing my chain and sprockets for the first time today. I had most of it done except for putting the clip link on the chain and tightening the front sprocket bolt (needed the chain on to supply resistance).

I cut the chain to size and put the link in, and was tightening the front sprocket bolt. I was using a breaker bar, and it just kept turning. I guess I should have known to stop, or used the torque wrench.

Anyway, here's the result:

Can anyone help? I'm in Burwood, Sydney. I'd like to get this fixed tomorrow, or its public transport for me. Not to mention having it towed to a mechanic :cry: :cry:
  2. NEVER use a breaker bar to install fasteners.
    Search "remove broken bolt" and see what turns up.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Okay looks like I'm headed to bunnings in the morning to get an extractor set. I think I can manage this, but drilling straight could be a problem.

Dunno WTF I was thinking... the splines take the torque of the sprocket, so the nut doesn't even have to be done up that tight. It has a bent washer to prevent it coming loose.

I used the breaker bar so I could do it up to roughly the tightness it took to remove... Oh well, annoying lesson.
  4. :shock: :shock:

I've been in the industry most of my life, and believe me it is difficult to judge tension on smallish bolts. Always use a torque wrench, and when that's not possible use a tool that has just enough leverage on the bolt you are tightening,,,, it will give you a better 'feel' to just how tight you're doing the sucker up.

Good Luck!
    PS: Do NOT break the ezy-out ... You'll never drill through that sucker!